Lightning ink Stamkos to five-year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

NV

i'm a mad man
Reaction score
The Tampa Bay Lightning and restricted free-agent forward Steven Stamkos have come to terms on a new five-year contract.

Terms of the deal were not revealed, but various reports list the value at $37.5 million, for an annual average value of $7.5 million.

"I am excited we were able to reach an agreement today," Stamkos said in a statement. "This was obviously very important to me and I appreciate (team owner Jeff) Vinik and (GM) Steve Yzerman for all their work in the transformation of the franchise as we move forward. There is no place I'd rather be than as a member of the Tampa Bay Lightning."

Stamkos, 21, was second in the League last season with 45 goals, and his 91 points were fifth. He added 6 goals and 13 points -- including a trio of 3-point games -- in 18 postseason games to help the Lightning make the playoffs for the first time since 2007 and advance to the Eastern Conference Finals for the first time since 2004.

That success followed his 2009-10 season, when tied for the League lead with 51 goals and won a share of the Rocket Richard Trophy.

His 96 goals the past two seasons are the most of any player in the League.

The first pick of the 2008 Entry Draft, Stamkos has 119 goals in 243 games. He played all 82 games last season for the second straight season, and has missed just three games in his career -- all during his rookie season.

"Steven is extremely important to this franchise and is part of the foundation of our hockey team," Yzerman said. "We are very pleased to have him signed and look forward to seeing him in a Lightning uniform for years to come."
nhl.com

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Great deal for Stamkos and the Lightning. He's definitely the new franchise player as players like St. Louis and Vincent continue to get older.

JKG33

Reaction score
5 years, that would be the first year he is eligible for UFA... hmmm

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Reminds me of Crosby's contract...

Great signing for both teams though.

Mooche

Reaction score
Good deal for the Lightning. Steven Stamkkos is definitely the future of this franchise and they'll go as far as he can continue to mature and progress as a player.

Buffalo

Reaction score
He only has a NTC in the first 3 years. Those last 2 years where he is signed will be to see if they can extend him again. If not, they will trade him to the best offer on the table. I wouldnt be surprised if he gets traded. He had very tough times signing with Tampa and if it has to happen again, it will be rough for both sides

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He doesn't have a NTC. He can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%