L@@K: Dallas Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score

Brad Richards, Dallas Stars’ success currently slipping under the radar
Brad Richards and the Dallas Stars have quietly put together an outstanding start to the 2010-11 season, as they currently sit one point behind the Western Conference-leading Detroit Red Wings after beating that team in overtime on Sunday.

The problem is that a precious few people seem to notice Richards’ individual achievements and the Stars team success, judging from preliminary MVP voting (as Puck Daddy’s Greg Wyshynski points out) and poor attendance numbers for Dallas home games (which Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News discussed today).

First, let’s discuss Richards’ tremendous contract year efforts. While his 38 points “only” ties him for sixth best in the NHL with Daniel Sedin and Alex Ovechkin, the Stars are a team that leans heavily on the playmaking forward’s production. He helped create or score 38 of the Stars’ 95 goals this season, which means he accounts for a staggering 40 percent of the team’s offense.

Does that mean he deserves to be win the Hart Trophy? Not necessarily, but he definitely is worthy of being a part of the discussion. If the team didn’t have Richards and Kari Lehtonen, they might not be competitive right now.

But the Stars are competitive, earning a 20-10-3 record for 43 points in 33 games played. They sit atop the ultra-competitive Pacific Division to the surprise of many, but their normally loyal DFW market is barely batting an eye at the team’s success.

Heika writes that the team is falling victim to the “wheel of fame.”
Bottom line, the wheel of fame is a tough thing. When you are on it, people crave attention about you, they get information about you and that feeds the fame. When you’re not on it, they don’t, and it’s tough to get people excited about your product. The Stars are not on the wheel right now, so they have to fight extra hard to get back on. This home stand will be a good test to see how things are working. The Stars play five of the next six at home, and they are playing at a time when families have time and might want to enjoy an entertainment event like a hockey game.

If the Stars win and the crowds come, the media coverage will follow. While hockey does fight some special battles for coverage in the Sunbelt, the Stars aren’t that much different than the Mavericks or Rangers. The more they win, the more people care, the more coverage they get. The Cowboys are different, and every single marketing number will tell you that, but the Stars are right in there with the rest of the pack.

Just ask FC Dallas or TCU how they feel about the coverage on a lot of days. This is not about hockey alone.
Hopefully people will start showing up for Stars games once the playoffs draw closer, because the region certainly got excited about the Texas Rangers when they made a similar Cinderella run. Otherwise, many pundits might wonder if the inevitable loss of Mike Modano also meant the inevitable loss of fan interest.

-PHT
Yea, nobody gives a shit about the Dallas Stars...sad but true. They are worth a look tho. A horrible 2009-10 season, Modano goes back home, Brad Richards supposedly on the block, nobody showing up to games...this team has/was/is left for dead. Richards has been a points machine, Loui Erikson is just behind him, Lehtonen is off to his best start, the team is playing some gritty defense, and 1 game from the top of the conference. Last 5 games, they took down Montreal, Detroit, San Jose...not to mention taking the Sharks into OT earlier in the week.

Keep an eye on Dallas, they're not fluke.

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Brad Richards has always been a great player, I don't see why they would trade him especially since they're doing so well this year. It surprises me they're doing well. I knew Kari is a good goalie when healthy so I guess I can understand they're getting a chance to win every night. The team is looking really good right now, as long as they don't collapse over the course of the season I can't see them flying under the radar much longer.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Honestly I thnk they might slow down a little bit but they're probably going to make the playoffs.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Brad Richards has always been a great player, I don't see why they would trade him especially since they're doing so well this year. It surprises me they're doing well. I knew Kari is a good goalie when healthy so I guess I can understand they're getting a chance to win every night. The team is looking really good right now, as long as they don't collapse over the course of the season I can't see them flying under the radar much longer.
Last year of his deal, their a young & rebuilding team. I don't know what the financial forecast is for next season...but I doubt Richards (He's almost 31) will be there in 2012.

Mooche

Reaction score
I agree, Brad Richards has always been a guy who has flown under the radar truly.

Gtown81

Luke 23:34
Reaction score
this pisses me off, if they had been struggling, the Leafs probably would've gotten Richards

LeafsFan4Life

Reaction score
Brad Richards has always been a great player, I don't see why they would trade him especially since they're doing so well this year.
They won't have the money to re-sign him so there has been talk that they will trade him so they get something in return instead of him leaving as a free agent.

LeafsFan4Life

Reaction score
this pisses me off, if they had been struggling, the Leafs probably would've gotten Richards
I doubt it. It would make no sense for the Leafs to trade for him when he is going to be a free agent in the summer. Plus the Leafs don't really have much to give up to get him.

Gtown81

Reaction score
My bad, I didn't know his contract ended this season

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
I think the Leafs probably would have enough to get him without giving up Kadri or Schenn, but doesn't make sense to acquire him now.

Gtown81

Reaction score
I'd trade Kadri for him, if he had more years on his contract

LeafsFan4Life

Reaction score
Trading your top prospect when you are rebuilding doesn't really make much sense at all...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%