Knicks to offer D'Antoni job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Knicks could offer job to D'Antoni Shortly

Donnie Walsh worked behind the scenes in a failed attempt to get Mike D'Antoni added to Isiah Thomas' coaching staff in Indiana eight years ago. Now, he has a chance to hire D'Antoni to replace Thomas as coach of the Knicks.

D'Antoni has met with the Knicks and Bulls and is waiting for either club to offer him its coaching job, which could happen in the next 48 hours, according to a person with knowledge of the situation. Having received permission from Phoenix Suns managing partner Robert Sarver and President Steve Kerr to speak with other teams, D'Antoni has wasted no time lining up two potential jobs.

Despite reports to the contrary, neither the Knicks nor the Bulls have made D'Antoni a formal offer, the person familiar with the discussions said. And counter to widespread belief, the person said, D'Antoni hasn't ruled out the Knicks despite the better short-term prospects presented by the Bulls' roster.
It's true that D'Antoni is intrigued by the Bulls' roster, but he also is intrigued at the possibility of working with Walsh -- not to mention the allure of New York and the earning potential of working for James Dolan.

D'Antoni feels burned after having his personnel power usurped by Kerr, and his clashes with management during and after the Suns' second consecutive postseason loss to the Spurs have been well documented. As a result, D'Antoni would welcome the opportunity to partner with Walsh, one of the league's most respected and trustworthy executives.

Walsh, who did not respond to requests for comment, already has met with former Knicks point guard Mark Jackson, who remains a strong candidate for the job. Walsh has specified that he isn't necessarily looking for the best tactician, but rather the best coach for the job. That bodes well for Jackson's New York roots, thick skin, and comfort level with media scrutiny.

Having traveled to Phoenix Monday to meet with D'Antoni, Walsh stayed out West to meet with fired Mavericks coach Avery Johnson, a second person familiar with the situation said Tuesday. Johnson's style -- emphasizing defense and halfcourt execution -- appears to be a better fit for the Knicks' rugged past than D'Antoni's. But Johnson's recent postseason shortcomings, and his unwillingness to unleash Dallas' offense after the Jason Kidd trade, also were the primary factors in his firing.

It is a question of style when it comes to D'Antoni, architect of the freewheeling offensive approach that has made the Suns one of the most successful and exciting regular season teams but also a postseason disappointment. Walsh has often debated that very dynamic with his many friends and colleagues in the league. What's better? Wide-open offense, three-point shooting, and outrunning your opponent? Or the traditional, halfcourt, disciplined approach that has always worked in the playoffs?

While Walsh is perceived as a traditionalist, he signed off on Indiana's hiring of Jim O'Brien, a disciple of Rick Pitino's wide-open offense. Now, Walsh appears to be in the running for one of the most unorthodox and successful coaches in the league.
LINK

Like I said before, D'Antoni is a HUGE upgrade from Isiah, but he doesnt emphasize defense. Now I do think his playing style would work in New York (since we dont play defense anyway) but I'd rather Mark Jackson or Avery Johnson

VC3

Charmander CHAR CHAR!
Reaction score
Would be a good move for the new era of NY bball possibly.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
why are they considering Mark Jackson?
he has NO coaching experience at all, and his commentary isnt that great. i dont think they should hire Jackson

D'Antoni on the other hand, meh. i'm not a fan of his

AirForceFlash_3

MLB Co-Comish/FSU Class of 2014!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
If I was D'Antoni I'd rather have the Bulls job than the Knicks job, unless he just wants to run up the score. The Bulls are younger, faster, have less ball hogs, and aren't in salary hell. But, it's ultimately up to him. And I agree with Dez, if I were the Knicks I would look for a good defensive minded coach.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
why are they considering Mark Jackson?
he has NO coaching experience at all, and his commentary isnt that great. i dont think they should hire Jackson

D'Antoni on the other hand, meh. i'm not a fan of his

Everyone has to start somewhere, and what does his commentary have anything to do with coaching ability?

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Sources: Knicks Ante up, D'Antoni waits for Bulls' counter

In their latest round of discussions with Mike D'Antoni's camp, the New York Knicks on Thursday outlined the parameters of the lucrative five-year deal they're prepared to give their new No. 1 coaching target, according to NBA coaching sources.

The corresponding proposal from the Chicago Bulls -- the team many still favor to land D'Antoni -- is expected by Sunday at the latest, sources said.

Knicks president Donnie Walsh, through a team spokesman, said Thursday night that the Knicks have not offered "anyone" a coaching contract. But sources close to the process insisted the Phoenix Suns coach, who celebrated his 57th birthday Thursday, has had advanced discussions with the Knicks about leaving the desert for Manhattan.

D'Antoni will naturally wait to hear what the Bulls present before continuing or breaking off his dialogue with New York, given his well-established interest in the Bulls' opening and D'Antoni's standing as Chicago's top choice.

But the latest estimates on the five-year package New York is prepared to formally put on the table fall in the $30 million range. Although that figure had been projected Wednesday by coaching sources to be even more "staggering," it's a level of annual compensation exceeded by only a few coaches in the game, such as Phil Jackson and recent retiree Pat Riley.

ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher, quoting a source close to D'Antoni, reported on SportsCenter early Friday that D'Antoni is leaning toward taking the New York job.

It remains to be seen how high the Bulls are willing to go financially in comparison and how much security their pitch will afford. The Chicago Tribune reported in Thursday's editions the Bulls are determined to "pay D'Antoni only on their terms" and won't engage in a "protracted price war" with the Knicks.

Questions surrounding the Bulls' willingness to spend for a coach of D'Antoni's caliber have been circulating for days, thanks largely to the $4 million Chicago still owes Scott Skiles for next season. Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf authorized a $5 million farewell payment for Skiles after firing him on Christmas Eve that -- unlike in most NBA coaching arrangements -- was not wiped out by the new four-year, $18 million contract that Skiles received last month from the Milwaukee Bucks.

But sources close to the process contend D'Antoni remains determined to go to Chicago as long as the Bulls assemble a quality offer. D'Antoni is scheduled to earn $4 million and $4.5 million in the final two seasons of his Suns contract.

It was widely assumed -- even by the Knicks to some degree -- that New York's emergence as a rival to Chicago was pursued by the D'Antoni camp strictly to get the Bulls to make a more substantial bid. That perception is changing. The word Thursday night in NBA coaching circles suggested that D'Antoni is ready to team up with Walsh if his talks with the Bulls dissolve.

It's believed the chase will extend through the weekend, with Monday serving as an unofficial target date for D'Antoni -- and the Suns -- to know where he'll be coaching next season.

The Suns want to accelerate their own search but have resisted contacting prospective candidates until they know D'Antoni has a new job. It's unclear what would happen if D'Antoni can't reach an accord with the Bulls or the Knicks, since Phoenix refuses to fire him and pay off the rest of his contract and since D'Antoni won't walk away from the money. But sources indicate Suns management -- as D'Antoni has been saying privately for days -- has no interest in trying to bring him back as coach given the public deterioration of his relationship with his bosses and an even more public crusade to find a new job.

It's still unclear who Phoenix will pursue to replace D'Antoni. Team president Steve Kerr insists he's years away from considering a coaching job, TNT analyst Doug Collins said Wednesday night he has "no interest" in being a head coach again in this league and NBA coaching sources told ESPN.com the Suns do not plan to consider recently fired Dallas coach Avery Johnson, who also appears to a back-burner candidate at best in both New York and Chicago.

The Bulls are expected to pursue a less experienced (and thus less expensive) alternative to D'Antoni, namely Boston Celtics assistant Tom Thibodeau, if a deal can't be struck.

New York, meanwhile, will almost certainly turn to Walsh's original favorite in New York -- Knicks alumnus and ESPN analyst Mark Jackson -- if D'Antoni resists the Knicks' lucrative pitch, perhaps as early as next week.
LINK

I doubt the Bulls have the money to match or better the Knicks offer for D'Antoni, but I hope they find it somewhere. I dont think this will help as much as many would think, D'Antoni is a short term fix. Even though (like I said before) our players would buy into his game strategy.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
LINK

I doubt the Bulls have the money to match or better the Knicks offer for D'Antoni, but I hope they find it somewhere. I dont think this will help as much as many would think, D'Antoni is a short term fix. Even though (like I said before) our players would buy into his game strategy.
I think D'Antoni wont go past 5 years, seeing as he already wants to leave Phoenix. Even if the Bulls cant match the price, as long as they come to "quality" and get close, within .5 mil a year, I think he will go there instead. I dont know much about D'Antoni, but I think it's partially money, partially quality. If he has better chance of success in Chicago with sllliiiightly less money, I think he will go with them. I personally am pulling for the Knicks, but also dont wanna see D'Antoni, since I root for the suns also, make a move that ruins his career.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think D'Antoni wont go past 5 years, seeing as he already wants to leave Phoenix. Even if the Bulls cant match the price, as long as they come to "quality" and get close, within .5 mil a year, I think he will go there instead. I dont know much about D'Antoni, but I think it's partially money, partially quality. If he has better chance of success in Chicago with sllliiiightly less money, I think he will go with them. I personally am pulling for the Knicks, but also dont wanna see D'Antoni, since I root for the suns also, make a move that ruins his career.
Well the only reason he wants to leave Phoenix is b/c of Steve Kerr. Kerr limited his "say" in the front office and within his coaching staff. It isnt b/c he lost interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%