Knicks say they'll fight grievance filed by Marbury

Status
Not open for further replies.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
From ESPN.com
Stephon Marbury is out of sight, but certainly not out of the Knicks' minds.

The point guard did not accompany the team south for its game Wednesday against the Orlando Magic, but he was still part of the pregame conversation: Coach Isiah Thomas indicated the club would fight the grievance that Marbury filed, which stemmed from his being fined a game's pay for skipping a trip to Phoenix in mid-November.

Thomas said the Knicks would not reconsider the fine, which approaches $200,000 of the $20-million-plus salary Marbury is scheduled to make this season.

There were conflicting reports Tuesday over whether Marbury would be available for Wednesday's game. Thomas did not pin down the player's return, telling reporters he spoke with Marbury "two or three days ago" and adding, "We are expecting him back at some point in time."

Marbury has missed seven of his team's last 11 games following the death of his father on Dec. 2. The Knicks have gone 3-8 during that stretch.

Marbury took his third leave last Thursday after skipping practice because of a combination of flu-like symptoms and personal reasons. He was in uniform but did not play in New York's win over Cleveland the night before.

The Knicks, who are 8-19, have also been dealing with rumors regarding the job status of Thomas.

Thomas said there would be lineup changes against Orlando but he wouldn't offer specifics, Newsday reported Wednesday on its Web site. It is believed that he'll bench either center Eddy Curry or forward Zach Randolph, who was acquired from Portland in the offseason. It's thought that the games of the two wide-bodies are not complementary.

"We'll make a change," Thomas said. "You'll see at game time."

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
This is Ridiculous, let the man grieve, obviously he was close to his father. Thomas and Dolan are assholes. I cant wait for the day their both stripped of their positions.

Why? thats all I wanna know, we werent winning w/ him, were not going to win until the two dumbasses are gone, why not let him grieve?

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
This is Ridiculous, let the man grieve, obviously he was close to his father. Thomas and Dolan are assholes. I cant wait for the day their both stripped of their positions.

Why? thats all I wanna know, we werent winning w/ him, were not going to win until the two dumbasses are gone, why not let him grieve?
Is that why he skipped? That's a serious question because it isn't in the article so I don't know why he missed the game(the one he was fined for).

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Is that why he skipped? That's a serious question because it isn't in the article so I don't know why he missed the game(the one he was fined for).

Nah he skipped that game on his own.

bulls12

Reaction score
I wonder why the Knicks still insist on keeping Stephon Marbury when he acts up.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I wonder why the Knicks still insist on keeping Stephon Marbury when he acts up.

In this case he's not acting up, his father died, thats why he took a leave of grievance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%