KJ elected Mayor of Sacramento

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Kevin Johnson wins bid for mayor of Sacramento

Basketball's Kevin Johnson became mayor of Sacramento, Calif., while Heath Shuler and Sam Wyche scored victories Tuesday that had little to do with football on a night when more than a dozen sports figures ran for office.

Joe Mesi, once one of boxing's top heavyweights, had a rough time in the political ring, losing a bid for a legislative seat in New York.

Craig Robinson wasn't listed on any ballot, but the first-year Oregon State basketball coach could soon be a frequent White House visitor. Robinson was in Chicago to watch election results with his family, which includes brother-in-law and President-elect Barack Obama.

Johnson, a former All-Star point guard for the Phoenix Suns, is the first black mayor of Sacramento. The 42-year-old Democrat with conservative social views defeated two-term incumbent Heather Fargo in a run-off election.

Johnson put some flash into his campaign with the backing of basketball royalty Shaquille O'Neal, Magic Johnson and Charles Barkley. He wants to raise the profile of his hometown and bemoans his city's image beside the likes of Los Angeles and San Francisco.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
alright good for him.
I've lived in Sacramento for a year so I could tell you trying to make it a city along the lines of L.A. and San Francisco is gonna be tough.
but good for him. I've always liked KJ.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yeah, pretty cool.
He was honored at the halftime show tonight.

Whisper

Living like a Don in my own mind
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Trying to turn Sactown into LA? or even SF? Trying to do that to Sactown? GOOD LUCK...

Congrats to him.. but GOOD LUCK!!

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Do you guys think him being elected will help the Kings chances of staying in Sac-Town?

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Do you guys think him being elected will help the Kings chances of staying in Sac-Town?
I didn't know Sacramento was even in jeopardy of losing the Kings.

What, the Maloof brothers trying to pack up and move their team to Las Vegas?

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
If they don't get a new arena, they say they are moving. (Arco is tiny)
And they want the people to pay for it, through taxes I guess.
Supposively a deal is supposed to be accepted or declined within the next 90 days for a plan to build a new arena at Cal-Expo.
I guess the NBA is helping alot too make sure they stay in Sac. (Something they didnt do for Seattle)

http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/1332839.html

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
If they don't get a new arena, they say they are moving. (Arco is tiny)
And they want the people to pay for it, through taxes I guess.
Supposively a deal is supposed to be accepted or declined within the next 90 days for a plan to build a new arena at Cal-Expo.
I guess the NBA is helping alot too make sure they stay in Sac. (Something they didnt do for Seattle)

http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/1332839.html
In that case...being a former NBA player & most likely an avid fan of the game...I couldn't see why Mayor Elect Johnson wouldn't do what he could to keep the Kings from leaving town.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
In that case...being a former NBA player & most likely an avid fan of the game...I couldn't see why Mayor Elect Johnson wouldn't do what he could to keep the Kings from leaving town.
Yeah, I agree. Especially growing up in Sac-Town a Kings fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%