Kings Theus Introduces Triangle Offense

Status
Not open for further replies.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Kings had to do something. The numbers showed that much.

To the naked eye, they finished a respectable sixth in the league in scoring last season. But the fine print to the seemingly respectable effort told another story. They were last in assist-to-turnover ratio at 1.25.

Translation: It was the antithesis of Kings basketball of old, when ball movement and team play propelled the organization's rise to elite status.

As the long road back to relevance began anew with Monday's media day at the team's practice facility, the new faces and renewed optimism was joined by the admission the offense just might look new and improved as well. Kings coach Reggie Theus is implementing the vaunted triangle offense.

The ambitious plan was first introduced in summer league in July. Theus passed word to his assistants to begin coaching the players on the ins and outs of the system, one made famous by coach Phil Jackson with his Chicago Bulls and Los Angeles Lakers teams and is as difficult to master as it can be to defend.

The goal is to eliminate stagnant feel on the floor and rely more on creative freedom and athleticism, and the change in personnel should aid the cause. Although Ron Artest's talents were indisputable, so, too, was the reality that the forward, who was traded to Houston in August, was notorious for breaking set plays and relying too much on isolation play.

"(It's) running more with continuity more so than calling plays," Theus said of the triangle. "I just think that allowing these guys to be as athletic as they are, to learn to play together and to grow as a team, you have to give them the freedom to do that.

"The triangle … (and) all of the intricacies of that offense are very difficult to learn because there are 100 reads. It's about reads, and it's going to take some time to get good at. Those who run that type of system will tell you that once you get it, they just play. And that's what I'm trying to get, is to give them a chance to just play."

Theus said his system last season had elements of the triangle, but this will be a significant step.

"Last year is the beginning parts of the triangle," he said. "We just elevated it to the next three or four levels."

The issue of offensive personality could have everything to do with Theus' future. The second-year coach enters this season in the final guaranteed year of his contract needing to prove himself on two fronts. His ability to teach and develop young talent will be a priority, as will establishing a system that's more pleasing to the fans and Kings basketball president Geoff Petrie. Second-year center Spencer Hawes, for one, said he is encouraged by the plan.

"I think it's just a natural next step of our offense, given that most of our bigs are such good passers," Hawes said. "You look at (the triangle's) success over the last 10 to 15 years, the success the Lakers and Bulls before that had with it. It's no secret. It works."

And while Theus knows the youth movement is in full effect, he said there is no reason to think the team's veterans won't play as large a role as before.

"To send the message that (the season) is a complete wash and we're not going after it would be the wrong message," he said. "You've got … guys who can legitimately play. I think what can help us is if I stick to my guns – and Geoff and management is backing me on this – (and) guys who play hard, guys who run the ball and push it, play the tempo, play the style, are the guys who are going to play. If some of the young guys don't buy into it fast enough and we have to bring it along slower, then that's what we do."

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
not sure if he has the personnel to do the Triangle.. will be interesting to watch

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think it will be good, if they can learn it fast enough. Brad Miller is a tremendous passer and Martin, Cisco and Salmons are good cutters to the basket. We will see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%