Kings Sign Francisco Garcia To 5-Year Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Kings' push to secure a young core took another step forward Thursday as they agreed in principle to a contract extension for fourth-year swingman Francisco García.

A source with knowledge of the negotiations said the deal is for five years and $29.8 million. The fifth year is a team option, although it is believed to be partially guaranteed. The Kings had until Oct. 31 to complete an extension with García, who would have become a restricted free agent next summer otherwise.

"It feels good, man," said García, 26, who was drafted 19th overall out of Louisville in 2005. "I'm happy because I love the city, I love the organization, I love the style we play, I love my teammates."

Extending García wasn't a priority for the Kings earlier because of the changing roster, as they waded through moves ranging from the signing of point guard Beno Udrih to the trade of Ron Artest. Once the salary-cap picture cleared, discussions began in earnest. His new contract begins in 2009-10 and concludes in the 2013-14 campaign.

"It was never a situation where it didn't appear Francisco was going to get an extension," said his agent, Aaron Goodwin. "We first talked about it earlier in the summer, and agreed to come back (to it).

"It's good because he's becoming a face of the organization. When I say that, I mean, he's one of those guys you associate with the Sacramento Kings. He has an attitude, fieriness on the court and the way he plays so hard. The Kings organization making a commitment to him, when they clearly didn't have to, means a lot."

García's career appeared to have stalled last summer, as his role under then-coach Eric Musselman was minimal in the 2006-07 season and he averaged fewer than 18 minutes per game. But in the first season under coach Reggie Theus, under whom García played at Louisville, he flourished as a high-energy reserve.

García played 26.3 minutes per game, averaging 12.3 points and shooting a career-high 46.3 percent from the field, including 39.1 percent from three-point range.

"I'm real happy for him," Theus said. "I think he's still got another level to go. You have to remember that he learned the game relatively late. He has the ability to be even more effective when he's off the ball. He can catch and shoot, put it on the floor. There's room to grow."

Kings basketball president Geoff Petrie said García's competitiveness had much to do with the desire to keep him. Even before his role increased last season, he was known as a natural leader whose vocal nature was much-needed.

"He's another really good spirit who's an improving player and has a competitive nature about him that's infectious with the people around him," Petrie said. "I think he's the type of player … with intangible qualities that you can go forward with. I still see a player who's continuing to improve."

With the core in place, the question now becomes whether they can improve collectively.

"A lot of people don't really believe in us because we're so young," García said. "I think we're going to surprise a lot of people this year. I think we've got a good team and got a lot of talent. We just have to play."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%