Karl, Ewing Jr. Waived

Status
Not open for further replies.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Coby Karl was waived by the Los Angeles Lakers on Monday, according to an Associated Press report. Karl, the son of Nuggets coach George Karl, averaged 1.8 points, 0.8 rebounds and 4.2 minutes as an undrafted rookie free agent with the Lakers.
LINK

The Knicks have decided to cut Patrick Ewing Jr.

Ewing Jr.'s Knick legacy and electrifying play in the final pre-season game made him an instant fan favorite.

But the Knicks apparently decided that Anthony Roberson's shooting ability made him more valuable. Roberson's contract is fully guaranteed while Ewing Jr.'s is not.

The team also did not want to eat the contract of the ineffective Jerome James.

"You start looking at well, what are our potential needs?" Donnie Walsh said. "I think that's where this went down to in the sense that it was felt that in the immediate future, potentially, that shooting could become a problem for this team. So that was the reason for Anthony Roberson because that's what he can do."

The Knicks looked for but could not complete a two-for-1 trade. Walsh said he hopes Ewing Jr. will play in the NBA Development League and the Knicks can bring him back.

"I think he's got a great upside," Walsh said. "As he develops, he's going to be a valuable player both offensively and defensively. It's always painful because you have to let somebody go that's worked hard. And he did. He worked very hard and he played well. But it's a simple case of 15 vs. 16 and you've got to do something."

Walsh responded to a question about the fans' overwhelming desire to release Jerome James instead: "Let's put it this way: I have no background with Jerome James, except he did not play last year," Walsh said. "So I understand the fans thinking that. He is under contract to us and we honor all our contracts. So basically, he's in the position that I've had other players in on this team, which is go out and prove yourself because you didn't play last year. So, we have to see what you are before we know what to do. And there could be a place for him on this team. But it'll be up to him to prove it in practice and if he gets a chance to play in the games, play in the games."
LINK

I was hoping Ewing Jr. would make the team over Roberson. He bring the defense, intensity and hustle we lost when we traded Balk. Plus the fans love him.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Fans liked both.
They will both prolly go in the DLeague..

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I hope Karl makes a spot back in the league, he has such a great story.

yezzir

Call me Slim Roethlisberger.
Reaction score
Well there goes the season. :p

But nah you're right, he does have a great story. The Lakers just don't have room for him this year.

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I know its too early but I don't like none of the moves walsh is making.

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
First mistake is drafting gallinari over jerryd.

Second mistake is giving roberson a guaranteed contract.

Third is releasing ewing jr and keepin a guy who is gettin a paycheck for nothing.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Karl better be picked up. I hope he is...

DC4

#TeamHeat
Reaction score
Oh <Censored> , Ewing had to go?

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Coby Karl <3
he will be missed

DJ Strawberry got released too.
not a good day if your dad is famous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%