Kaberle Open to Waiving NTC?

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Will he, or won’t he?

It seems that every season about this time, the issue of veteran defenceman Tomas Kaberle and the no-trade clause in his contract comes to the forefront of any talk related to the Leafs making a big move.

And with the trade deadline looming, the question was once again raised on Tuesday morning after the Leafs skated in preparation for their game at the Air Canada Centre against the Florida Panthers.

Kaberle, the longest-serving Leaf and probably Toronto’s most-valuable asset when it comes to swinging a deal with another team, was asked if he would be open to waiving his no-trade clause, and it seemed as if he might be willing to if the conditions were right.

“If something comes up we can talk. That’s what my agent is for. I just worry about the hockey games,” Kaberle said. “I haven’t heard anything about that yet. Every year is the same, there’s going to be lots of talk, especially toward the end (of the deadline).”

Toronto has fielded offers on the puck-moving defenceman in the past, but none came up that general manager Brian Burke felt was worth pulling the trigger on. But with the 32-year-old defenceman’s contract expiring at the end of this season, it’s now or never for the Leafs if they want to get anything significant in return for Kaberle.

Kaberle currently leads all other Leafs defencemen by a wide margin with 30 points, 28 of them helpers. He is a minus-6 and has 12 penalty minutes.

The trade deadline is Feb. 28.
http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hockey/2011/02/01/17112431.html

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Our back end offence would take a major hit. We would need other guys to step it up, but if there is a nice return on the table, Kaberle's days could be number.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
SMH:

Rick Curran:

“To end any speculation, there isn’t a list of teams,” Kaberle’s agent, Rick Curran, said in a phone interview Tuesday. “And there will not be.”

By stating this, Curran is hopeful that the trade talk will go away. But until the Feb. 28 deadline passes, his client’s name is likely to be at the centre of all rumours.

Last year, Kaberle openly refused to waive his no-trade clause, but there were still reports that he provided the Leafs with a list of teams that could entice him to do so.

Curran said that was never the case, nor would that happen this year.

“Quite frankly, I don’t want Tomas to go through another s— show,” he said. “I hope that doesn’t happen again.”
http://www.faceoff.com/Kaberle+trade...155/story.html

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I am beyond sick & tired of hearing this guys' name attached to potential trades and...really anything to do with the word "trade", in general.

This goes out to Kaberle, his agent, Brian Burke, and the Toronto Maple Leafs front office: Shit or get off the pot on this situation already. I mean Jesus Christ! IT's been what...2 years with this shit now?

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more. Us Leafs fans all get excited, then are let down in the end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%