Joe Smith to Cavs; Drew Gooden to Spurs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/20...terms_with.html
CLEVELAND -- Joe Smith is about to become a Cavalier, again.

The Cavs and the veteran 6-foot-10 forward agreed to terms on a one-year contract Tuesday night. He is expected to sign the deal once he clears waivers Wednesday morning and should be able to join the team by Friday's game at Boston.

"After careful consideration of his options, Joe has decided that the Cavs are the best fit," Smith's agent, Dan Fegan, said.

Smith was contacted by several teams after getting a buyout from the Oklahoma City Thunder on Sunday. He averaged 6.1 points and 4.5 rebounds in 39 games with the Thunder this season. He played 27 games plus the playoffs with the Cavs last season.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3949639
Barring an unforeseen snag, Drew Gooden will be joining the San Antonio Spurs later this week, according to NBA front-office sources.

Sources told ESPN.com on Tuesday that Gooden -- waived Sunday by the Sacramento Kings before the midnight deadline to be eligibile to play in the playoffs with another team -- has made known his intent to sign with San Antonio after clearing waivers Wednesday.

Gooden was pursued by several playoff-bound teams this week, including San Antonio's divisional rivals in Dallas and New Orleans.

But the Spurs have nearly $1.5 million remaining from their mid-level salary-cap exception to offer Gooden for the rest of the season, as well as a shot at title contention.
Thoughts everyone? I think they are pretty sold pick-ups for both teams. Don't know if they put either over the top though

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Thank god, after Ben went down we desperately needed another big. Joe played very good for us in the post-season last year. With him and Z on the court, , it gives much more space for LeBron to operate as well.

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I like both signings -- helps both teams for specific reasons. Gives SA another big body to bump with Pau/Bynum in the playoffs

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I just find it interesting that the same ESPN "expert" NBA analysts who pretty much made Joe Smith seem like a 'nothing' who wouldn't be able to give New Orleans much off the bench...is suddenly going to make this much needed impact coming off the bench for Cleveland.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Joe is a great vet, knows what to do and when to do it.
He makes the Cavs better even with Ben being out.

Drew is playing for a new contract, but a chance at a ring could change him inoto a team player for now.
I think that is also a great pickup. But doesn;t he have hernia?

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Joe is a great vet, knows what to do and when to do it.
He makes the Cavs better even with Ben being out.

Drew is playing for a new contract, but a chance at a ring could change him inoto a team player for now.
I think that is also a great pickup. But doesn;t he have hernia?
Gooden has been playing with a Sports Hernia most of the season but that doesn't mean he can't pass a physical or play. He needs surgery to get rid of it eventually...but I think he would of opted to do so by now, if he wasnt willing to play with the pain.

.snowy

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I don't really like Gooden, but this sure as hell closes the gap between the Lakers and Spurs.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
snowy, if Bynum continues to be on schedule which apparently he is, then the gap is definitely still there
Gooden is ok, but he's not a put you over the top guy. Still a nice pick-up though.
Hopefully we get our pick-up later this month if you catch my drift ;)

.snowy

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
snowy, if Bynum continues to be on schedule which apparently he is, then the gap is definitely still there
Gooden is ok, but he's not a put you over the top guy. Still a nice pick-up though.
Hopefully we get our pick-up later this month if you catch my drift ;)
Oh of course, I totally agree. By close the gap I didn't mean close it entirely. It just closes it a bit atleast. It makes the Spurs bench a bit better, still not to the level of LA, and we both know that LA has a better starting 5.

Totally agree, just sayign the gap has closed ever so slightly,

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I do agree with you.
I am glad they got him over Joe Smith though.

speaking of Smith, that was a decent pick-up. Smith didn't do crap for the Cavs last season so who's to say he will this time? I guess with Wallace out he may see some more PT, but meh. I still think Boston is better than Cleveland with or without home court advantage

.snowy

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I do agree with you.
I am glad they got him over Joe Smith though.

speaking of Smith, that was a decent pick-up. Smith didn't do crap for the Cavs last season so who's to say he will this time? I guess with Wallace out he may see some more PT, but meh. I still think Boston is better than Cleveland with or without home court advantage
Boston has potential to be better, their bench and Ray Allen are just too inconsistent in my eyes. Which in turn forms my opinion that the Cavs are better, especially with homecourt advantage.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Joe Smith was so consistent for the Cavs last year, he also had a nice FG % from what I remeber.
He did good for them and will do good again.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Joe Smith was so consistent for the Cavs last year, he also had a nice FG % from what I remeber.
He did good for them and will do good again.
i kind of overstated that I guess.
He was pretty decent last season. Playoffs were meh, but still a good signing.
I still believe Boston is better though :/

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yea, but the East is harder this year.
Cavs and Boston are neck and neck, with Orlando and Hawks right there.
Also don't count Detroit out :headsmack:

Miami could make a run too.

But Cavs or Celtics got it locked up, and now that C's have Marbs I'm leaning towards them.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
you said it, Boston and Cleveland have it locked.
Orlando is overachieving, ATL is meh, Miami is meh, Detroit can do something MAYBE, but doubtful

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Joe Smith played pretty good in the playoffs. He hit his jumpers against Boston. He'll always have his open looks being on the same team as LeBron, and he hits his shots.

lonesomefx

The Loud Mouth Pacer
Reaction score
Finally... Boo Gooden is playing for my least Favorite team.

Lake Louise

Reaction score
I`m liking the pickups for both teams, both will definately benefit from this, but not an overwhelming amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%