Iverson: "My goal is to help this team win a championship"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Allen Iverson was not at practice on Thursday and is currently away from the team getting treatment on his back, but according to the Detroit News he did issue at statement saying he'll do whatever it takes to help the team, including come off the bench.

The Pistons have been on a role with Richard Hamilton starting once again in place of Iverson.

"I'm disappointed that the soreness I'm feeling in my back is going to force me to miss two weeks of action. After talking with the doctors at Georgetown (Wednesday), they have told me that treatment and rest is the best course of action right now. Hopefully my back will heal and I'll be ready to go following this two-week period."

"My goal is to help this team win a championship and I've said that from the first day I arrived here in Detroit. I'm going to do whatever it takes to help us achieve our goals as a team, regardless if I'm starting or coming off the bench."

Via Detroit News

SKA

Reaction score
Of course he wants to win a championship (because that's all I will ever remember him for, "not winning the big one"), but I bet he can't wait to get out of there.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think for the most part when people look back on AI's career, the first thing they will think of is his toughness, and scoring ability. Not the fact he's never won a championship.

He's not going to get one in Detroit, he'll be better off in the offseason when he can actually pick the type of team he wants to goto.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He's not going to get one in Detroit, he'll be better off in the offseason when he can actually pick the type of team he wants to goto.
agreed 100%

SKA

Reaction score
I think for the most part when people look back on AI's career, the first thing they will think of is his toughness, and scoring ability. Not the fact he's never won a championship.

Well that's what I will remember him for, but then again, this is coming from a fan who has always hated AI.

Lake Louise

Reaction score
Hopefully that would be his goal for the team. You dont see many players saying "My goal is to help this team go one-and-done in the playoffs." I would have to agree though, I dont see this goal being fulfilled, with Detroit anyways.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Just cause we don't have 40+ wins right now, doesn't mean it can't happen.

We have been searching for our identity all season long, and we found it and have had a 4 game win streak to prove it.

We are just as good as the Cavs or Magic..

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Pistons have no chance at winning anything this year, if they get by the 2nd round, it's a miracle.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Why? Because we don't have a good record right now?
What if we finished 4th in the East?
The regular season means jack. We have proven we can beat any NBA elite team. We have beat Boston, Cleveland, Orlando, and Los Angeles.

If Curry wasn't half retarded, and started Rip and Dyess earlier this year we could be right up there with you guys. Possibly fighting for the #1 seed in the East.. We have the talent for it and you can't even deny that.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Not to be mean but isn't it every players dream for them to help their team win an nba championship :p

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Why? Because we don't have a good record right now?
What if we finished 4th in the East?
The regular season means jack. We have proven we can beat any NBA elite team. We have beat Boston, Cleveland, Orlando, and Los Angeles.
If the regular season means jack, then why are you looking at those wins? It's obvious the Cavs and Celtics are way ahead of Detroit.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
If the regular season means jack, then why are you looking at those wins? It's obvious the Cavs and Celtics are way ahead of Detroit.
Ok, then I won't look at the wins.. Look at the rosters. Our is just as impressive as yours. If not more impressive.. That better?

Roster wise Boston has the best in the East. Detroit is second. And Orlando is third.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Ok, then I won't look at the wins.. Look at the rosters. Our is just as impressive as yours. If not more impressive.. That better?

Roster wise Boston has the best in the East. Detroit is second. And Orlando is third.
Now I know why you have that little award at the bottom of your sig.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
If you honestly think just looking at the roster your team is more impressive, then you deserve that award.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
If you honestly think just looking at the roster your team is more impressive, then you deserve that award.
How is your roster better then the Cavs? We have an advantage at PG, SF, PF and C in the starting lineup with arguably the deepest bench in the league. Not only that, we don't have people complaining about being on the bench. I don't recall one dispute between management and players. Keep thinking the Pistons are going far, because they won't.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
At center you got Big Z. Barely averaging more than Rasheed. He is also 4 inches taller and grabbing the same amount of rebounds. He is shooting a better percentage, but Rasheed is one of the better low post defenders in the league. Ask Dwight Howard...

I don't even know who your starting PF is. Varajoke or Ben? I'd take Dyess over both in a heartbeat. But that depends on what you want. Dyess gives you scoring and rebounding. Varajoke gives flopping and some rebounding. Ben is strictly defense. You can't tell me you wouldn't rather have Dyess than Ben or Varajoke, can you?

Yes you have us beat at SF. Can't really say much here lol.

Better PG is yours yes. But that depends on who starts their. Because when you played us I believe West was at PG and Williams was at SG. If that's the case, Stuckey > West. Rip = Williams. Which would basically make our starting line-ups equal to each other.

Now you say you possibly have the deepest bench in the NBA? Outside of Wally, Smith, and Gibson I don't see much depth.
And I'm not saying Detroit's is much better because we basically don't have much outside of Maxiell. Bynum has looked great too of late, and Herrmann has shown signs. But that doesn't even include Iverson off the bench for us. I don't know how he will play in this role so I can't really judge it. I would expect 15 off the bench, which could be huge for us because Stuckey tends to get in foul trouble lately.

Maybe I didn't give you a fair share. And maybe I'm overrating my team. I would put you guys equal to our roster now though. After analyzing the situation. And maybe the Pistons won't go far, and your probably right there. I just don't think just because they have struggled to find an identity and have a rookie head coach, should mean they can't compete as well as your team. Or any other elite team.

PiStoL31PeTe

Baller For Life
Reaction score
A.I should be coming off the bench compared to Hamilton and yea he'll prolly leave Detroit after this year.

.strkr

Reaction score
A.I should be coming off the bench compared to Hamilton and yea he'll prolly leave Detroit after this year.
Yes, AI is way past his prime. I don't expect him to win a championship with the Pistons, nor any team he joins for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%