Status
Not open for further replies.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
This just came to my attention and should make for some good debates. How important are elite PG's to good teams?

Look at the 4 teams left:
Cavs- Mo Williams
Magic- Rafer Alston
Nuggets- Chauncey Billups
Lakers- Derek Fisher

Now Mo and Chauncey are good, but I wouldn't call them elite. Chauncey's changed the philosphy in Denver, but I think any position could have done that, it's all about the player.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
They are important, but not as important when those teams have guys like LeBron, Kobe, Dwight, and Melo..

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Boston won last season with Rondo. not elite back then. still not elite now. close though

Lakers have never had a super PG during there Phil Jackson runs. Houston didn't have an elite PG during there Hakeem runs. MJ never had a super PG, but it didn't matter

they are important, but not if you have a legit superstar like cheato said

and also LOL at you saying Chauncey isn't elite. wtf is he then? Mo isn't elite sure, but cmon, don't dog Chauncey like that.
Not any player could have changed that team. They had the DPOY and still couldn't play any D and win

bestkeptsecret13

Chicago's Finest
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
PGs are important on a team where there is no other star player, for example the Hornets and Bulls, but when you have superstars like Kobe, LeBron, Wade, etc. it's not really necessary, because those guys have the ball in their hands most of the time anyway.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Boston won last season with Rondo. not elite back then. still not elite now. close though

Lakers have never had a super PG during there Phil Jackson runs. Houston didn't have an elite PG during there Hakeem runs. MJ never had a super PG, but it didn't matter

they are important, but not if you have a legit superstar like cheato said

and also LOL at you saying Chauncey isn't elite. wtf is he then? Mo isn't elite sure, but cmon, don't dog Chauncey like that.
Not any player could have changed that team. They had the DPOY and still couldn't play any D and win
He averaged 17, 6, and 3. I don't consider that elite.

I consider elite a double double, Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Steve Nash, Jason Kidd, etc etc.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Stats don't tell you the whole story..

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
They sure dont, look at it this way last year with AI in Denver the Nuggets where nothing more then a playoff team, this year with Chauncey their actually giving the Lakers problems and just 2 games away from their franchises 1st finals appearance

Not to mention the fact he's played in the conference finals the last 7 years, if thats not elite idk what is.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
They sure dont, look at it this way last year with AI in Denver the Nuggets where nothing more then a playoff team, this year with Chauncey their actually giving the Lakers problems and just 2 games away from their franchises 1st finals appearance

Not to mention the fact he's played in the conference finals the last 7 years, if thats not elite idk what is.
IDK, I've always put Chauncey in that second group of PG's. He isn't up there with CP, Deron, and the other "elite PG's of present and past", IMO. Don't get me wrong though, he's damn good.

I think 7 straight conference finals makes his teams elite, not him. Those Detroit teams probably wouldn't have gotten there with Rip, or Prince, or Sheed, if you get what I'm saying.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Chauncey is a 4 time all-star, including this season

he's definitely elite.

he may not have the name, but he's definitely, definitely elite
you know what, he does have the name, who am I kidding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%