Horton out, Rome ejected

Status
Not open for further replies.

germany00

Preds 2013?
Reaction score
Vancouver defenseman Aaron Rome was assessed a major penalty and a game misconduct for a hit on Boston's Nathan Horton at 5:07 of Game 3 that sent Horton to the hospital.

Horton passed the puck to Milan Lucic as he approached the blue line, and Rome stepped up for the hit, dropping the Boston forward to the ice. Rome was given a five-minute penalty for interference and a game misconduct.

The game was delayed for several minutes while medical personnel attended to Horton, who was taken off the ice on a stretcher, strapped to a backboard. The Bruins said he is moving all extremities and has been taken to Massachusette General Hospital.

It was the first major penalty of the series to either team.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Definitely a huge loss for Boston, puts them at a disadvantage for the rest of the series

And fuck Boston just scored

germany00

Preds 2013?
Reaction score
Earlier this morning NHL announced that Rome is going to be suspended for 4 games from the hit injuring Horton.

dh1333

amnesia.
Reaction score
Agent: Canucks' Rome considering appeal for suspension after Horton hit
BOSTON -- Aaron Rome was suspended four games for his hit on Nathan Horton. In the eyes of the Canucks and Rome's agent Jarrett Bousquet, it's too strong of a punishment. On Tuesday, Bousquet told Sporting News that they are considering appealing the suspension.

"I'm looking at it, yes," said Bousquet, of Titan Sports Management, Inc. "I'm just talking to Aaron and the (players association) right now. I'm not saying we're even going to do it. It's something, for sure, you have to review."

Rome hit Horton after he passed the pack along the blue line during Tuesday's Game 3, which Boston went on to win 8-1. Horton was stretchered from the ice and spent the night in the hospital with a severe concussion.

Rome's suspension would last through the Stanley Cup Finals if it goes seven games and, if the series ends early, would carry over to next season. Game 4 is on Wednesday.

Bousquet said Rome was extremely remorseful for the hit and has reached out to Horton via text message and a phone call.

There’s also concern in the Rome camp that he is being punished more severely because he isn’t a big-name defenseman. Bousquet pointed out that more prominent defensemen like Zdeno Chara and Chris Pronger have received what he believes are lenient decisions because of their prominence in the sport.

Daniel Sedin didn’t exactly shoot down that theory on Tuesday.

“Romer gets killed down in San Jose and nothing happens,” Sedin said. “Obviously now he laid the hit and he gets four games. I don’t know, it’s a tough call.”

The appeal process would have to go through NHL commissioner Gary Bettman, which doesn’t work in Rome’s favor. Mike Murphy, who handed out the suspension, works for the league and said he consulted with plenty of people before making his decision. Expect the appeal process to be a negotiating point in upcoming CBA negotiations.

Bousquet said he’s been impressed with how the Canucks have rallied around Rome. The team is taking him out to dinner in Boston tonight to show their support.

“We support him,” Sedin said. “His intentions were never to hurt anyone.”
http://aol.sportingn...-hit-stanley-cu

fletch

Reaction score
I don't want Rome suspended I want him to have to play the Bruins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%