Filatov Sent to AHL

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Nikita Filatov’s NHL struggles continue as Blue Jackets demote him to AHL

I hate to say it – and it’s not too late being that he’s only 20 years old – but it looks like Nikita Filatov is following the footsteps of another Russian Columbus Blue Jackets first round pick named “Nik.”

Years ago, Nikolai Zherdev went from a future superstar linemate alongside Rick Nash to then-coach Ken Hitchcock’s doghouse. The talented but troublesome Russian winger eventually bounced around the hockey world, spending unproductive time with the New York Rangers, plus a season with the KHL while he’s now trying to find a home with the Philadelphia Flyers.

Filatov has struggled enough over the years that it’s hard to believe he’s only 20. Much like Zherdev, he sought refuge in the KHL for a big chunk of time but is trying to make things work with Columbus. He simply hasn’t matched the hype that comes with being the sixth overall pick in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.

He won’t get a chance to make good on that at the NHL for a while, as the team decided to demote him to the AHL after he only scored seven assists in 23 games this season. The Blue Jackets will receive a change of pace for Filatov, as they recalled 23-year-old forward Tom Sestito from their AHL affiliate, the Springfield Falcons. Sestito provides more of a stout presence (11 goals and six assists for 17 points with 81 penalty minutes in 17 games) than the finesse-based game of Filatov.

One demotion doesn’t mean than Filatov and the Blue Jackets are at some irreparable crossroads, but the team must be a little disappointed in the Russian prospect. (Click here for more background information on the demotion, including some reasoning that maybe the Blue Jackets were reluctant to send him down to the AHL in the first place.)

-PHT

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Damn this dude needs to get is s*** together. He's so talented but he has a terrible attitude. Maybe a change of scenery might help him out.

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He doesn't have a terrible attitude. Honestly, IDK if its just how I am but I don't think his attitude is a problem at all. He's not meant for that style of play and that was evident last year before he was sent to the KHL

Mr.Baller

Reaction score
Filatov is a excellent player but i just feel that he could have more succes with the caps for exple but he needs a change of team i guess ..

LeafsFan4Life

Reaction score
I wonder how long it will be until he starts complaining and runs back to Russia again.

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
If you put him on...say...a team that plays an offensive style of game...he'd be amazing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%