Doctor could save Kings $6M

Status
Not open for further replies.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
CLEVELAND – Every dollar counts these days for the Kings and their owners, so a virtual check for $6.2 million would certainly be welcomed.

And the way they see it, the case of Shareef Abdur-Rahim warrants that repayment.

The former Kings forward will be in New York City today to see a league-appointed doctor regarding the right knee injury that led to his retirement last summer.

While the Kings expected all along to have Abdur-Rahim's 2009-10 salary ($6.6 million) removed from their salary cap, they filed a petition with the league to have his $6.2 million salary for the 2008-09 campaign taken off their books as well.

If the doctor confirms the diagnosis of arthritis and sees the damage that led Abdur-Rahim to have two arthroscopic surgeries in the last six months of his career, the financial outlook for the Kings could be a bit brighter. While Kings basketball president Geoff Petrie said he isn't sure when a verdict will come after the doctor's visit, he hopes the outcome is to his liking.

"I think his situation and his records speak for themselves," Petrie said when asked if he expected his request to be granted. "Obviously, I think the league will do it (appropriately)."

Abdur-Rahim, currently a Kings assistant coach, played in just six games of the 2007-08 season. His final appearance was Nov. 12, 2007.

Carril to rejoin team – Pete Carril remains uncertain about his future with Kings, but only as it pertains to next season.

While the Princeton coaching legend and Kings consultant who officially returned Jan. 10 had expressed some uncertainty about his role and the impact he was having in just a week after he arrived, he reiterated just before the Kings' trip he is here to stay for this season.

Carril is not currently with the Kings, having returned to his New York home for a short stay that was planned weeks ago. He will rejoin them today in Boston before returning to Sacramento.

"If Geoff (Petrie) … asks me to come back (next season), then I think I'll move back like I did before (when he was a Kings assistant for 10 years) – if the (team co-owners) Maloofs and everybody think I'm doing something," Carril said. "Right now, I'm just a little disturbed that we're not winning. I just wonder, that's all."

Kings coach Kenny Natt has continued to discuss the team's performance with Carril by phone after each road game.

"He has helped tremendously," Natt said. "Even when he's not around, he's always talking and that type of thing … ."

When Carril voiced almost-immediate doubts about his ability to help the situation, Natt was among many surprised at the reaction.

"He's hard on himself," Natt said. "He just wants to be the magic wand to make it happen, but it's not about him. It's about these guys stepping up, because they've shown what they're capable of doing when they play hard and have intensity."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%