Derrick Mason to retire

Status
Not open for further replies.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Baltimore Ravens wide receiver Derrick Mason told a sports Web site Monday that he's retiring from the NFL.

"After 12 years, I have seen it all and done it all," Mason told jocklife.com. "Right now, I am content with the decision I am making. All good things come to an end, and I am ready to see what else life has to offer."

But Mason hasn't informed the team of his decision.

"For any player to retire, he has to send a letter to the NFL stating this. Derrick Mason has not done that," said Kevin Byrne, the Ravens' senior vice president of public relations.

Mason's agent, Peter Schaffer, didn't immediately respond to a phone call and e-mail from The Associated Press. Schaffer’s agent, partner, C. Lamont Smith, did confirm to The Baltimore Sun that the 12-year veteran has retired.

Smith told jocklife.com that Mason "advised me that after careful and deep thought he had made a decision to retire from professional football. ... Given that Derrick just reached this decision on Friday, he has not as of yet filed official papers with the league offices."

Mason, 35, played a key role in helping Baltimore reach the AFC Championship Game last season. He started all 16 games and led the Ravens in receptions (80) and receiving yards (1,037). He then added 12 catches for 190 yards and one touchdown in three playoff games.

Mason played eight seasons with the Tennessee Oilers/Titans and four years with the Ravens. Last season, he became the 31st player in NFL history to reach 10,000 career receiving yards.

In March, Mason, who is entering the final year of his contract, told NFL.com that he had loosely considered retirement but wanted to play for two or three more seasons.
Baltimore Ravens

On Monday, Mason insisted the announcement had nothing to do with his drive during the offseason to get a better contract.

"I have made enough money, more than enough money," Mason said.

Without Mason, Baltimore's most accomplished wide receivers are Mark Clayton and Demetrius Williams.
I thought he still had a few years left. But I think this might have to do with the death of McNair also, it might have taken a toll on him.

Shadez

Reaction score
I read last night on the web that the Ravens are still trying to get him to come back. So even though he says he retired there's always the itch to play and to make more $$$.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
He hasnt talked to the Gm, coach, or sent the NFL his retirement papers. Just a little peculiar that he hasnt done any of those things.

Shadez

Reaction score
Just posting what I read. Here it is...

Updated: July 15, 2009, 3:29 PM ET
Ravens take wait-and-see approachComment Email Print Share By James Walker
ESPN.com
Archive
Baltimore Ravens coach John Harbaugh said in a conference call Wednesday that he plans to meet with top receiver Derrick Mason soon.

The subject undoubtedly will revolve around Mason's sudden retirement earlier this week, and whether there's a chance he will change his mind before the start of the 2009 season.

The Ravens were caught off guard Monday when Mason, who led the team in receptions and yards in 2008, told jocklife.com that he was calling it quits after 12 seasons. Mason had been rehabbing his shoulder this offseason and was in Baltimore as recently as Monday.

Mason cited the passing of longtime friend and former teammate Steve McNair as a major reason he is leaving the game and recently told ESPN that he is "99 percent" sure of his decision. Baltimore is still taking a wait-and-see approach until Mason meets with team officials and files the official paperwork.

"We have an appointment to talk real soon, either by phone or when I get back next week," Harbaugh said. "So it will be interesting to see where he is at with everything. I know he's going through a lot in the last couple weeks with Steve's situation and those kinds of things. But I'm looking forward to talking to him."

The Ravens have been in the process of examining what's available in the free-agent market at receiver. Veterans such as Marvin Harrison, Matt Jones and Amani Toomer are some of the established names still looking for work.

Right now the Ravens are thin at the position, as Mark Clayton is one of the few receivers with starting experience on the roster. Baltimore is hoping to get the issue resolved before the team opens training camp on July 28.

"Whatever he does, I stand behind him 100 percent," said Ravens defensive end/linebacker Terrell Suggs, who signed a six-year, $63 million extension Wednesday. "I would love to have him for another year, but only Derrick Mason knows what's good for him."

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
WESTMINSTER, Md. – Baltimore Ravens wideout Derrick Mason(notes) reported to the team Saturday, reversing his decision to retire earlier this offseason. He will play for the Ravens under the terms of his current contract.

“It makes our team better and I’m sure the players are going to welcome him,” Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said. “I’m very pleased that he made it through the mental things that he was going through and that he decided he wanted to be a member of this football team.”
What did I tell you guys.....

kdogg

The original #SpartanDawg
Reaction score
I knew he wasn't done yet, it obviously had something to do with what happened to McNair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%