Deng Declined $57.5 Million Extension With Bulls

Status
Not open for further replies.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
From realgm.com
The Chicago Bulls are off to a slow start once again, with Luol Deng, Ben Gordon and Kirk Hinrich all struggling.

Both Deng and Gordon turned down contract extensions last week, and both have been included in trade rumors for Laker superstar Kobe Bryant.

It's impossible not to wonder if Deng's and Gordon's struggles are related to their decisions to turn down multimillion-dollar contract extensions and their mention in frequent Kobe Bryant trade rumors, writes Chicago Tribune columnist K.C. Johnson.

Both players continue to offer the right words. But with confirmation that Deng turned down an increased five-year offer worth nearly $57.5 million, speculation about regrets is legitimate.

"The contract and the trade rumors, I try to focus on my game," Deng said. "I don't want to blame me struggling on something like that. When I'm on the floor, I'm supposed to perform and produce. And I haven't done that the last two games."

Said Gordon: "In the NBA, there are distractions all the time. You have to play through those things. You can't let them get into your head and affect your game. When you're on the court, that's the only time you can block everything out. We have to play, have fun and work hard."

bestkeptsecret13

Chicago's Finest
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I saw this last night, but I'm not sure I really believe it. Deng is far from selfish, so $57.5 million sounds like something he would accept. I'm not sure if there was miscommunication with his agent or what, but between him and Ben Gordon, not getting the contracts done has really affected the team’s play thus far.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I read this last night too.
But I also read something saying he wanted more than 50Mill. So maybe he did really turn it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%