Chilly close to becoming Browns OC

Status
Not open for further replies.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Browns had narrowed their search for an offensive coordinator down to two men: Mike Sherman and Brad Childress.

With Sherman expected to land in Miami, well, you can guess where this is going. Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer reports that Childress should be hired in the next few days.

Childress and Browns President Mike Holmgren are both represented by the same agent — Bob Lamonte. So is Sherman. And Browns coach Pat Shurmur. (Not that there’s anything wrong with that.)

Shurmur said he’d possibly be open to letting an offensive coordinator call plays, depending on the candidate. Shurmur called the plays and didn’t have a coordinator last year, which didn’t work out too well.

vcu4lifegoviks

Reaction score
Its official.

Browns Offense - TM - Browns
Jan 27 - 2:48 PM

Browns hired ex-Vikings head coach Brad Childress as offensive coordinator.

Childress is a surface fit in Cleveland because of his West Coast offense background, but there's a lot to not like about this hire. Out of the league since his in-season firing in 2010, Childress' Vikings offenses from 2006 through 2010 ranked 23rd, 13th, 17th, fifth (Brett Favre year), and 23rd in terms of yards. In points, they were 26th, 15th, 12th, second (Favre), and 29th. Toward the end of Childress' Minnesota tenure, there was a feeling that the game had passed him by. Talent remains the roadblock standing in the way of Cleveland's offensive advancement. They need a new quarterback.

Related: Vikings
Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter
http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football
Chilly lands in Cleveland
Posted by Mike Florio
January 27, 2012, 3:10 PM EST

As of last night, former Vikings coach Brad Childress was close to landing a job with the Browns. And Childress now has.

According to multiple reports, Chilly is the new offensive coordinator in Cleveland.

He joins the team after a year out of the game, following his 2010 in-season termination by the Vikings. Before becoming the Vikings’ head coach in 2006, Childress had worked as the offensive coordinator in Philadelphia.

It’s unknown whether Childress, who didn’t call the plays when he was the offensive coordinator of the Eagles, will call the plays in Cleveland. If he does, here’s hoping that the resists the temptation to dial up his patent-pending “12 men in the huddle” formation.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/27/chilly-lands-in-cleveland/
Sorry Cleveland.

vikesfan

Reaction score
have fun with his "kick ass" offense lol, it doesn't kick much ass

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He's not a good head coach, but that has no baring on how he is as a coordinator.

Not to mention his teams were fairly successful in Minnesota anyway..

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Isnt Childress a douche or some shit like that? I just remember him not being a cool dude....

vcu4lifegoviks

Reaction score
He's not a good head coach, but that has no baring on how he is as a coordinator.

Not to mention his teams were fairly successful in Minnesota anyway..
He never called the offensive plays in Philly and after the one year he did it in Minny he was told by the owner to hire an offensive coordinator to call plays or else he would be fired. The guy is inept in all aspects of coaching including being a coordinator.

vcu4lifegoviks

Reaction score
Isnt Childress a douche or some shit like that? I just remember him not being a cool dude....
Yes he was a total douche in Minny. He suspended a player for going to his grandmothers funeral instead of going to practice. He also cut a player on Xmas eve. The guy has horrible people skills.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Good thing he isn't going to be calling the plays then, right?

He got his job in Minnesota because of how he was as a coordinator in Philly. Just because you're a Vikings fan and he was fired as your head coach, doesn't make him a bad OC but this is what every fan of a team does.

Dick Jauron was a terrible head coach, came in last year as the Browns defensive coordinator and our defense was way better with him.

vcu4lifegoviks

Reaction score
Good thing he isn't going to be calling the plays then, right?

He got his job in Minnesota because of how he was as a coordinator in Philly. Just because you're a Vikings fan and he was fired as your head coach, doesn't make him a bad OC but this is what every fan of a team does.

Dick Jauron was a terrible head coach, came in last year as the Browns defensive coordinator and our defense was way better with him.
If I was a Browns fan I would hope he stays away from calling plays. Unless you like running every down and then punting. It seems like its still kind of up in the air about who will be calling the offensive plays for the Browns though:

Browns head coach Pat Shurmur reportedly plans to continue calling plays for now, although that could change following Friday's hire of Brad Childress as offensive coordinator.

Shurmur's playcalling didn't exactly evoke fireworks in 2011 (or 2010 with the Rams, for that matter), but the thought of Childress getting the nod is even less appetizing. According to reports out of Cleveland, Shurmur is tentatively expected to open the 2012 season calling plays. He could turn those duties over to Chilly if the offense struggles out of the gate.

Source: Mary Kay Cabot on Twitter
He actually was mainly hired by the Vikings because he was a disciplinarian(and looked like Major Dad). At the time the Vikings were coming off of the sex boat scandal and the whizzinator debacle. The organization needed somebody to clean up the team and he for the most part did that. I cant really say he was hired because of how he coordinated the Eagles offense considering he didn't call plays. The only thing he did worth while with the Eagles was working on the development of Donavon McNabb. Which I thought he did a great job.

I hope this hire works out well for the Browns. I have no ill will towards the organization. I am just speaking from experience and stating what I have learned from watching what Childress did in Minnesota from 2006-2010. Good luck and hope he learned from what he did in Minny.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He was traumatized by the size of Shiancoe's penis. Never the same since then.

TTN2810

Reaction score
LOL

Either way, whoever does call the Browns plays, they are screwed lol

Favre4Ever

Reaction score
Ya, you guys all pretty much covered the thoughts of the general NFL fan about this move. Pat Shurmur is incapable of calling an offense, so what do the Browns do? Go hire another incompetent mind?

He has been an OC on the pro level for like three years. And even with that experience...

Donovan McNabb - TO - Brian Westbrook > Colt McCoy - Little - Ogobanana

Somehow, someway... The Browns always find a way to screw themselves.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Browns are definitely going to move forward with Colt and and a running back who started a few games because our top 3 RBs were injured at the same time, thanks for reaffirming my belief.

I find it hilarious how the Browns are apparently "screwed" because we just hired a guy who had success in Philly as a coordinator previously. What he did as a head coach is completely irrelevant.

Favre4Ever

Reaction score
The Browns are definitely going to move forward with Colt and and a running back who started a few games because our top 3 RBs were injured at the same time, thanks for reaffirming my belief.

I find it hilarious how the Browns are apparently "screwed" because we just hired a guy who had success in Philly as a coordinator previously. What he did as a head coach is completely irrelevant.
Is Colt McCoy the answer though? In my opinion the Browns were better off with Seneca Wallace under center. It might be time to draft another QB and let him sit a little while.

And Chilly isn't COMPLETELY horrible. I think he can put together a good offensive game plan and help expose some of the weaknesses of opposing defenses, but he isn't a world beater by any means. The Browns, in all honestly, just lack a lot of talent on the offensive side of the football. Even if Chilly were a GREAT coach, I am not sure anyone should expect GREAT results in Cleveland.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Is Colt McCoy the answer though? In my opinion the Browns were better off with Seneca Wallace under center. It might be time to draft another QB and let him sit a little while.

And Chilly isn't COMPLETELY horrible. I think he can put together a good offensive game plan and help expose some of the weaknesses of opposing defenses, but he isn't a world beater by any means. The Browns, in all honestly, just lack a lot of talent on the offensive side of the football. Even if Chilly were a GREAT coach, I am not sure anyone should expect GREAT results in Cleveland.
I find it hard to believe the Browns won't do everything they can to get Robert Griffin, whether they have to trade up to #2 or he falls to #4. Either way, they're in good position to get him. Colt isn't the guy.

I'm not looking for a world beater, just someone who has an idea of what they're doing. I pretty much trust Holmgren as far as coaching decisions he makes, other then having Mangini stick around for 1 year when he clearly wasn't his guy. That was just idiotic.

The Browns have 3 of the top 36 picks in the draft, so I'm fully expecting 2 impact offensive players to come out of that.

Favre4Ever

Reaction score
I find it hard to believe the Browns won't do everything they can to get Robert Griffin, whether they have to trade up to #2 or he falls to #4. Either way, they're in good position to get him. Colt isn't the guy.

I'm not looking for a world beater, just someone who has an idea of what they're doing. I pretty much trust Holmgren as far as coaching decisions he makes, other then having Mangini stick around for 1 year when he clearly wasn't his guy. That was just idiotic.

The Browns have 3 of the top 36 picks in the draft, so I'm fully expecting 2 impact offensive players to come out of that.
As a Packer fan, I absolutely LOVE Mike Holmgren. Outside of him being ignorant during the SB against the Broncos, he created a lot of amazing memories for not only us, but the entire league. I have the utmost respect for him.

With that said... When he hired Shurmur, it was hard to find the positives. I really didn't feel like Shurmur was ready or even qualified to be a head coach in this league. And I kind of felt that he was hired simply because of the relationship the two have.

I do think he (Holmgren) has done a lot of good though. I think your drafts have been MUCH MUCH better since he took over, which is a great start. I'd actually love to see the Browns stick it to the AFC North, they've had crap shoveled onto them for long enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%