Cavs won't OK Ilgauskas to play for his country

Status
Not open for further replies.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
From espn.com
CLEVELAND -- LeBron James will be the only Cleveland Cavaliers player going to China with his national team this summer.

The Cavaliers have declined permission for center Zydrunas Ilgauskas to play for Lithuania in the Olympics.

Cavaliers general manager Danny Ferry says Ilgauskas is a higher-risk player because of his injury history. The 7-foot-3 Ilgauskas was plagued by foot injuries early in his career and the Cavs are concerned about his lower back.

Ilgauskas needed permission to play because his contract is not fully insured.

"We declined consent for Zydrunas to play in the Olympics when he approached us several weeks ago, and in light of the inability to insure Zydrunas adequately, we continue to deny consent and will not permit Zydrunas to play in the 2008 Olympics as a member of the Lithuanian National Team," Ferry said in a statement.

Ilgauskas viewed the Beijing Olympics as his last chance to play for his country.

A message seeking comment was left Friday for Ilgauskas' agent, Herb Rudoy.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Pretty much self explanatory. He's had foot problems his entire career, and at any point if he hurts it again his career could be over. He is an important piece for the Cavs, he is the only player outside of LeBron who contributes with scoring consistently. He'll get us around 15/10 next year IMO.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Its understandable. But at the same time it is his home country, and if he really wamts to play they should let him. I mean he did stay healthy this year....

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Its understandable. But at the same time it is his home country, and if he really wamts to play they should let him. I mean he did stay healthy this year....
He stayed somewhat healthy most of the year but like the article said he had back problems at the end of the year. We really need him at full strength next year and I'm sure he's fine with not playing. He's got a big 10+ million dollar pay check coming in, that will do the talking.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He stayed somewhat healthy most of the year but like the article said he had back problems at the end of the year. We really need him at full strength next year and I'm sure he's fine with not playing. He's got a big 10+ million dollar pay check coming in, that will do the talking.
As long as he's alright with it then I guess it isnt a big deal at all.

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I say let him play if he signs and amendum to the contract..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%