Campbell Traded To Panthers For Olesz

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsFan4Life

Reaction score
Defenceman Brian Campbell has agreed to waive his no-trade clause in order to go to the Florida Panthers.

The Chicago Blackhawks sent Campbell to the Panthers in exchange for forward Rostislav Olesz.

Campbell still has five years left in his current contract at $7.1 million per year.

The 32-year-old defenceman had 27 points and was a plus-28 last year for the Blackhawks. The former sixth-round draft pick has 312 points in 11 seasons in the league.

Olesz scored six goals and 17 points in 41 games with Florida last season. The 25-year-old former first-round draft pick missed a number of games due to injury, including a 17-game stint on the injured list with a broken finger, and the final 21 games of the season with a knee injury.

Olesz has a no-trade clause that kicks in on July 1.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=369913

Mooche

Reaction score
This was still one of the more interesting deals of the night.

Chicago is clearly trying to get younger, and making a move for the future but how long exactly will they have to wait? Campbell is getting older and at 32 he's going to continue to slow down.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It also frees up cap space for Chicago to try and keep Sharp around. I like Olesz, he'll be a good fit on their 3rd line.

I actually don't mind the deal for Florida either. Campbell is reunited with some guys from Chicago, including Tallon who signed him to that contract, and actually gives Florida some more skill on the blueline. He's not worth his contract but Campbell isn't a terrible defender. Plus, there's no reason to think he can't better or match his point totals with more playing time than in Chicago.

nickps

Reaction score
I like the trade for Chicago. Campbell wasn't worth that contract and it gives them a lot more room to work with. It would have been nice if they could have traded him last year and kept more of their role players around.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Florida also needed salary to ensure they are above the ridiculously high cap floor.

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Campbell doesn't even care that he'll be in Florida where they suck lol

I like this move to clear salary though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%