Calderon's Streak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It's quite impressive for Jose Calderon of the Toronto Raptors to have dropped 79 consecutive free throws. It would be something else entirely if he had made any of them in Houston. Because nothing is free with Calvin Murphy in the house.

The Hall of Famer once set the NBA record with 78 in a row back in the 1980-81 season, since eclipsed by Micheal Williams (97) and Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf (81). And Murphy, well, ahem, keeps a close eye on anyone who steps onto his turf.

"I don't need these young whippersnappers pushing me out of the history books," said a cackling Murphy. "I'd be there to give them the eye."

Yet every time another player such as Calderon starts stringing together free throws, it puts a slice of the spotlight back onto the 13-year career of the 5-foot-9 Murphy, who paved the way for the likes of Spud Webb, Muggsy Bogues, Earl Boykins and Nate Robinson in the modern era NBA.

At 59, Murphy's engine still revs as fast as it always did. So he can fully appreciate the buzz that Calderon is creating around his own streak of free throws.

"First of all, when it gets that long, you're always thinking about it," Murphy said. "Because people won't let you not think about it. There becomes anticipation every time you go to the line to shoot another one.

"Then you start thinking about it every time you walk up there. 'What time of the game am I going to get a foul shot? Will it be early? Am I warmed up properly?' You start playing mind games with yourself."

Then, of course, opposing players start playing their own games within the game.

"I can specifically remember one situation where Downtown Freddie Brown of the Sonics was on me all game long. He never stopped talking about it. Every time I got fouled, he was stepping in there to say something, heckling me and telling me I was going to miss."

It's those outside distractions, Murphy says, Calderon has to block out as he continues his march up the list past Abdul-Rauf and closer to Williams. He has to maintain his normal routine, his normal rhythm, his normal form and normal timing.

"Sounds easy," Murphy said. "But that's just it. When you've made 79 in a row, it's not normal."

While his streak has been broken now by three different players, Murphy still holds the record for highest free throw percentage over a full season, at .958. He made 206 of 215 in the '80-'81 season and wants to hold onto the top spot.

"And I almost had to leave the country when Mahmoud missed his chance," Murphy said. "Everybody blamed me."

The Denver Nuggets came to Houston for the final game of the 1993-94 season and Abdul-Rauf was on a pace to break Murphy's mark when he was fouled and went to the line in the final minute of the game.

"It was so funny, because Mahmoud and I were very close. Before the game, I was teasing him that he didn't want to go to the line with me at the game, because there's no way he'd make every shot.

"So he gets down to the very end, scores and gets fouled. Everybody was aware of the situation and that he needed to make the free throw to break my record. I was sitting in the front row and before Mahmoud got to the line, the referee rolled the ball over to my feet. I picked it up, twirled it on my finger and threw it back to him. And, of course, Mahmoud missed the shot, his last one of the season to finish behind me (by .002).

"Everybody said I put gave him the hex, the whammy. I got home that night, turned on the TV and there's a story about unsportsmanlike conduct by Calvin Murphy 'voodooing' the basketball. Are you kidding? If I had the voodoo, nobody from another team would ever have made a foul shot in our building."

Now Calderon is a perfect 76-for-76 this season (he made his last three last season), and that has not gone unnoticed by the record holder, who is keeping the Raptors' lone visit to Houston (March 3) on his calendar.

"You know, if this keeps up, I just might have to take a trip up there to Toronto with my voodoo dolls and play my bongos," Murphy said, cackling again. "And Calderon better bring his blinders to the Toyota Center. Because I'll be right there on his butt."

Fran Blinebury covers the NBA for the Houston Chronicle.
http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/01/1...0116/index.html

DC4

#TeamHeat
Reaction score
I believe he'll break the record.

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I don't know if Calderon is playing today, but it would be awesome to see him play against Steve Nash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%