Bynum has MCL tear

Status
Not open for further replies.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
According to ESPN, he has an MCL tear and is out 8-12 weeks.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
man <Censored> the world

Lakers need to make a <Censored>ing move

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Here's the article from ESPN
NEW YORK -- Los Angeles Lakers center Andrew Bynum will miss eight to 12 weeks after tearing the medial collateral ligament in his right knee.

Bynum was hurt in the first quarter of Saturday night's win at Memphis. Kobe Bryant drove to the basket, missed the shot and crashed into Bynum's right leg. Bynum immediately grabbed his knee.
Bynum
Bynum

Bynum is the Lakers' third-leading scorer and second-leading rebounder, averaging 14.0 points, 8.2 rebounds and 1.9 blocks.

The 7-foot, 285-pound Bynum's injury brought back bad memories of last season for the Lakers. He went down in mid-January and was expected to be sidelined eight to 12 weeks after bruising a bone in his knee and briefly dislocating his kneecap.

Instead, he missed the final 46 games of the season, as the Lakers lost in the NBA Finals. He underwent arthroscopic surgery May 21 to remove cartilage debris and smooth some rough spots on the underside of his kneecap.

"This is a team that went to the Finals last year that we put on the floor, so they're confident in what they can do," coach Phil Jackson said at the Lakers' shootaround Monday afternoon, before they announced the severity of the injury. "We know we're going to miss his presence, his rebounding ability. But this is a very capable team."

The injury came as the 21-year-old seemed to be taking a major step forward in his fourth NBA season. In the five games before he was hurt, he was averaging 26.2 points, 13.8 rebounds and 3.2 blocks and shooting 65.3 percent from the field.

"It changes our team, and the rhythm that we're playing with," Bryant said at the shootaround. "Obviously we found a great rhythm there with him in the lineup, particularly the last week or so. So we're going to have to make some adjustments."

Bryant insisted the Lakers could still win a title without Bynum.

"There are teams that lost in the Finals that go back and win the next year," he said. "I think having Andrew in the lineup makes us a dominant team. With him out of the lineup, we're still a great team. You put him in the mix, it takes us to another level."

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
why can't Boston lose KG?
why can't Orlando lose Rashard?
why can't Cleveland lose MoWill?
why can't San Antonio lose Parker?

>.<

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Ouch lol. That's a bummer.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
This is from on doctor on ESPN radio L.A.

Doctor says the usual recovery time is 4-6 weeks MAX so the 8-12 week estimate is overly conservative.
-90% of all MCL ligaments that are torn DO NOT require surgery because it's in an isolated chamber in the knee and can heal on it's own.
-Tearing the ACL is much more serious and would've required 9-12 month recovery.
-MCL tears prevent side-to-side movement. That will be the last thing to come back to him.
-Last year's injury was much more severe and tougher to grasp because it's less common.
I copied and pasted it

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
You guys better hope he's not prone.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
maybe him and gerald wallace can go suit shopping for suits to wear on the sidelines.

bynum has to pay though

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Lakers are molding a slightly better Sam Bowie

Whisper

Living like a Don in my own mind
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
man <Censored> the world

Lakers need to make a <Censored>ing move
You're a funny guy mex.
We made it to the finals without Bynum, and with the West being weaker this year I don't see why we wouldn't be able to do it again. This isn't college basketball, 8-12 weeks means he's going to be back by the playoffs. Hell, the doc said 4-6 weeks so I really don't see why your gayness for Bynum has you rattled.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
You're a funny guy mex.
We made it to the finals without Bynum, and with the West being weaker this year I don't see why we wouldn't be able to do it again. This isn't college basketball, 8-12 weeks means he's going to be back by the playoffs. Hell, the doc said 4-6 weeks so I really don't see why your gayness for Bynum has you rattled.
Even if he is back by the playoffs, what would you expect from a guy who has been out that long and coming into the playoffs, which are much more physical games then the regular season.

Whisper

Living like a Don in my own mind
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
and you guys are insisting we are ######? why? Is it because we made it to the finals with a stronger western conference last year? Wait a minute that doesn't make sense.... :rolleyes: Yall act as if Bynum is the only difference in this years team, our bench is stronger as well with Ariza back, and Powell who's more consistent then Turiaf is. Obviously the team is going to miss his presence, but with, or without him this is a perfectly capable team. One player does not make or break a championship, unless that one player is a guy like Kobe or Lebron, but Bynum is not of that caliber. I may be being a bit optimistic here, I am pissed Bynum's out for this long, but I don't see why we couldn't go far again with this group.

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Bynuum and oden are injury prone like a mother<Censored>er,

.snowy

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
You guys are idiots if you think this makes him injury prone. What happened was an accident, its not as if his knee buckled under him after going for a rebound.

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
This is his second time being injured and its a serious matter. He's getting on the borderline of being prone.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Bynum didnt even do anything this time either. he was just standing there getting ready to grab a rebound when all of a sudden Kobe ran into him. The good news is he's really optimistic. he had an interview session and was in high spirits laughing and stuff. I feel confident this time. and this injury isnt as bad as last years. as long as he's back for the playoffs, we should be ok.

idc what anybody says, lakers are still miles and miles better than any other western team. don't even start with San Antonio

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
You're a funny guy mex.
lol
i overreacted. that was the first time i heard he was out for that long
i'm cautiously optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%