Bulls-Celtics and the top 20 series of the post-lockout era.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
1. Dallas over San Antonio, 2006

Simply the gold standard, for our time. Featuring an up-and-comer taking on the defending champs, this contest featured a two-point Spurs win to start it, followed by a shocking 12-point Mavs win in San Antonio. A one-point Mavs win and five-point Dallas overtime victory came next, with a one and five-point Spurs win to follow, ending with a classic Mavericks overtime win in San Antonio that featured a season-saving three-point play from Dirk Nowitzki (37 points, 15 rebounds) at the end of regulation.

Lots of emphasis on point differential? You bet. This whole list is based on how great and how close the actual games were, not any sort of misty recollections or credence slipped toward teams in the final four or two slots in the playoff bracket. This list is for those who were there, watching.

2. Boston/Chicago, 2009

We haven’t even hit Game 7, and yet this is still bordering on an all-timer. Seven overtime periods in six games thus far, alongside one three-point Boston win in Game 2 that turned on the heels of a desperate Ray Allen three-pointer shot over an approaching 7-footer. There may have been more "important" best of seven attempts, but have you ever been a part of one better than this? Assuming Game 7 goes according to script …

3. Utah over Sacramento, 1999

Game 1 featured the expected Jazz blowout win, replete with Greg Ostertag scoring at will over Chris Webber on a couple of possessions. Game 2? Things, shockingly, turned. What followed were two overtime games, and one one-point Jazz win, and some of the best personality-driven brand of playoff basketball that we’ve ever seen.

4. Los Angeles Lakers over Sacramento, 2001

This is a big favorite, but to us it’s a bit marred by the horrid officiating in Game 6, and a full-on Kings meltdown that took place in Sacramento during Game 7. Still, two incredibly fun and talented teams, essentially giving us the best NBA Finals of the last decade, should you consider the deep East/West divide that lasted from 1999 until recently.

5. Golden State over Dallas, 2007

A modern classic, the eighth-seeded Golden State had Dallas’ regular season number for two straight seasons heading into this first round matchup, and proceeded to act as (should have been) expected in this first round against the top-seeded Mavericks.

6. Los Angeles Lakers over Portland, 2000

People tend to remember Portland’s fourth quarter flameout in Game 7, one that saw the Trail Blazers give up a 15-point fourth quarter lead to the Lakers in the final 15 minutes. What few do remember is a dogged attempt from the Blazers, down 3-1 at one point, to get to a seventh game. This series featured Portland stealing the homecourt advantage, giving it up with two losses in Portland, before raring back (spurred on by a Steely Dan concert the night before, no doubt) to take Game 6. Only to toss it all away as the team’s lack of a go-to guy became obvious in Game 7.

7. Phoenix over Dallas, 2005

What stand out are two best friends, Dirk Nowitzki and Steve Nash, going at it on several switched screen and rolls. What also stands out are two of the best offensive teams of this generation trading high quality baskets and entertaining play.

8. Dallas over Houston, 2005

Sure, the series ended with a 40-point Dallas win in Game 7, but what we remember is the four games in the middle of this fun one that were decided by six points or less.

9. Dallas over Utah, 2001

A real shocker at the time, and a series that tipped a lot of us off to the fact that, while "playoff moxie" and "veteran doggedness" might be something to appreciate, let’s face it, talent is an asset. And Dallas had the talent enough to pull out a classic Game 5 win with Calvin Booth hitting a clutch shot down the stretch. OK, maybe "talent" isn’t the word …

10. Minnesota over Sacramento, 2004

An underrated one, with five of the seven games turning in at a six points or fewer difference, and Kevin Garnett turning in this Game 7 gem: 32 points, 21 rebounds, two assists, four steals, five blocks, two turnovers.

11. Phoenix over Los Angeles Clippers, 2006

A solid runner-up from the best recent postseason (2006) of the lot. Lots of scoring, a double-overtime classic, and Sam Cassell in his last healthy season. Yes, please.

12. Phoenix over Los Angeles Lakers, 2006

Only marred, and served second to the Clipper series, by a should-be classic Game 7 that saw Kobe Bryant apparently moping throughout the proceedings. On Saturday night. On TNT. Uh-oh. Otherwise, the series featured two overtime games and plenty of close contests. And Kobe calling Raja Bell (two years older than Mr. Bryant) "kid."

13. New York over Indiana, 1999

Now that the pace has picked up in this league, and scores have risen, it’s a chore for some to remember just how entertaining these fin de siècle slow-down contests were. Not pour moi. Sure, some parts were pretty dull, but these things tended to turn around by the fourth quarter. Here, I’ll play-by-play it for you.

14. Indiana over Milwaukee, 2000

The Bucks should not have been the eighth seed, they could have probably earned a top-four mark; but they slept through the entire regular season, and barely made it into the postseason over an upstart Magic team that sure seemed to want it quite a bit more. No matter, because once the postseason started, the Bucks stole home court advantage from the eventual conference champions, before eventually falling short in a nail-biting Game 5 that earned Tim Thomas several different Bentleys.

15. Milwaukee over Charlotte, 2001

Others may remember the series that follows at #16, but this one was so, so much more entertaining to watch. Sam Cassell, and a young Baron Davis. Elden Campbell. Stop laughing. You have no idea how good this one was.

16. Philadelphia over Toronto, 2001

Competitive, yes, but quite a lot of isolation play. Very slow, very fun in the last five minutes, but very typical Lenny Wilkens/Larry Brown-play.

17. Dallas over Sacramento, 2003

I’m sorry, but in 2003, to get to watch a seven-game series where the Kings averaged 111 points per game, and the Mavericks averaged 114.6? Come on. It was like the first time I heard the Beatles.

18. Utah over Houston, 2007

If only to give Carlos Boozer (23.5 points per game, 12.2 rebounds, 2.9 assists during the 2007 postseason) the chutzpah, after three double-scotches, to call his agent and ask to opt out of his contract this summer.

19. New York over Miami, 2000

Call it a perverse pleasure. I’m full of ‘em. I eat Marmite, daily. No joke. After Bill Simmons made a joke about this series being on NBA TV’s classic games roster back in 2002, I made a point a few days later to make out with an ex-girlfriend with this game flickering silently in the background, as if it were a Teddy Pendergrass record. I’m a sickie, and I love those old Knick/Heat games.

20. Detroit over Miami, 2005

Dampened slightly by Shaquille O’Neal’s thigh bruise and Dwyane Wade’s everything bruise in Game 7, this was still an entertaining back and forth.

Honorable mention: Philadelphia over Milwaukee, 2001; New Jersey over Indiana, 2002; Dallas over Portland, 2003; Miami over New Orleans, 2004; Los Angeles Lakers over San Antonio, 2004; San Antonio over Phoenix, 2005; Cleveland over Detroit, 2007; Boston over Atlanta, 2008; Boston over Cleveland, 2008; San Antonio over New Orleans, 2008.

Source: By Kelly Dwyer, yahoo.com

DC4

#TeamHeat
Reaction score
If game 7 is a blowout, then it wont be top 20, I hope it's a really tight game with bulls upsetting the defending champs

PiStoL31PeTe

Baller For Life
Reaction score
it's going to a really tight game tonight hopefully we can pull one out tonight.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
I cant wait to watch it, im pumped up for it.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I agree with the list. The spurs-mavs series was almost equally as good as play with overtimes and such, but added on to that one was the hatred and the longtime rivalry of the two. Plus it went to a game 7 overtime.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
damn i honesly dont really remember any part of that series ^

wow, wtf is wrong with me?

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Yea the Mavs are all over this list. We must be a fun team to watch or something.

JoshHoward5

LONG LIVE THE CHARIOT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Mavs-Spurs had everything. It was a rivalry (when it was possibly the most heated), great games, controversy (The JET suspension), a comeback for the Spurs, and an amazing finish.

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Philly vs toronto is the best series I've ever seen. Ai and Vince were going at.

Philly vs milwaukee was underrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%