[BTA] NBA Mock Draft 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abovelegit

Reaction score

AboveLegit's NBA Mock Draft 2009
5/28/2009

1. Los Angeles Clippers: Blake Griffin, PF, Sophomore, Oklahoma
The Clippers will be taking Blake Griffin, there is no exceptions, you take this type of talent 10 out of 10 times. Even with a solid frontcourt, they will take Blake and build around him, as well as Gordon and Thornton. They will ship Kaman out of Los Angeles for a player like Luol Deng who can make an impact on offense and defense, and surround the Blake with a good nucleus of young players. Their main focus is rebuilding, I have always said franchises should build around big men, and they will do so here. They drafted Eric Gordon last year at the guard position, there is absolutely no need to draft a player like Rubio or Thabeet here.

2. Memphis Grizzlies: Ricky Rubio, PG, Spain
the skills he has that are already advanced for someone his age, how far ahead he's always been of people his age and how his skills will actually translate to the NBA. In his case it's all very good. He's got very good court vision, he's smart (although seems like a bit of a diva), he's got a fire, and his shot has been coming along very well. I don't see what about him doesn't make him at least a #2 pick. If you take him and Griffin out of this draft you basically get another 2006 draft, but with those two alone you have a much better draft.

Look at what happened to the Clippers in 1998 when they drafted for need, they wound up with Michael Olowokandi, who did legitimately seem like the best big man of that draft, but there were clearly better players right behind him on the draft board at other positions. Griffin is the clear cut best talent in this draft, Rubio is the clear cut second best talent in this draft. When someone is clearly in a different class of talent, you don't dip to a class below just to fill a need.

Will he wind up being the second best player in the draft? Who knows, but right now he clearly looks like the second best guy in this draft.

3. Oklahoma City Thunder: Hasheem Thabeet,
C, Junior, Conneticut
For me this is between Harden and Thabeet. Harden gives them another good scoring option, but I don't know how well he'd fit in with Westbrook in the backcourt, who plays a hybrid 1/2 style. With Thabeet they don't get much of an offensive player at all, but with Durant, Green, and Westbrook in the starting lineup they really don't need another scorer. Yes, Thabeet will be a bit of a risk, but I think it's fairly safe to say that he'll be a good defender. So, based on team chemistry and needs.

I don't see how he wouldn't fit into their team. He has excellent character and intangibles (OKC is very big on this atm), good defensively, and his offensive skills would go really well with Westbrook and Durant. He doesn't look to shoot and has great passing skills, which would make up for Westbrook's mentality. I think he would be a great complimentary player for this team.

4. Sacramento Kings: Brandon Jennings, PG, International
I'm thinking they go with Jennings here. They already have their wing spots filled along with a project in Donte' Greene. They need to draft a player that can come in and make an immediate impact on a position of need. That's why I believe if they can't move up in the draft they'll settle for Jennings which isn't too bad of an idea at all. Jennings was possibly a lock for a top 3 spot if he decided to stay with Arizona and show the country his talents in the Pac-10.

5. Washington Wizards: James Harden, SG, Sophomore, Arizona State

Harden is the most balanced shooting guard in this draft, above Evans, DeRozan, etc. Drafting him only helps the Wizards backcourt, seeing as how Arenas is coming off an injury plagued season, they need Harden to take the load off on offense, while maintaining a good defensive game throughout the season. I wanted DeRozan here, but due to his weak defensive play in his freshmen year, I was forced to pick James Harden.

6. Minnesota Timberwolves: DeMar DeRozan, SG/SF, Freshmen, USC
At 6'7, DeRozan has the ability to spread out the defense, and give versatility to this Wolves roster by playing the 2 and 3 positions. He has a very wide ranged offensive arsenal, which the Wolves desperately need, due to the lack of support from All Jefferson's cast. Pair up DeMar with Randy Foye in the backcourt, and you have a a great future ahead of you, and more importantly, will fill in the hole at SG, which they need to act upon now if they want to move ahead and worry about other positions.

7. Golden State Warriors: Jordan Hill, PF, Junior, Arizona
The Warriors get a steal here by filling in their major hole at the Power Forward Position. They need to pair up Andris Biedrins with another post presence who is good on the defensive end, Hill fits that mold perfectly. Many expect another guard drafting here, but I suspect the Warriors to heavily shop their current pick if they are not able to grab a big man in this first round. With their large array of guards, they will have no hesitation in drafting a Power Forward .

8. New York Knicks: Stephen Curry, PG, Junior, Davidson
Curry is their man, they have already stated on numerous occasions that they will choose him if he's available. And frankly, I'm quite pleased with this move. Curry will be able to spread out the floor with his three point shooting abilities, the Knicks desperately need that type of player since Jamal Crawford got traded to the Warriors.

And it seems like Dantoni and Walsh think they can develop him into a great PG on the NBA level...trade for Nash and have him mentor Curry??....if they draft Curry, I hope Walsh trades for a SG to make up for Curry's weakness's....I like Sefolsha a lot with rumors of OKC trying in getting Rubio and other rumors of them selecting harden, he could be expendable, a player like Sefolsha would be perfect next to curry, he plays great D, and is able to drive in.

9. Toronto Raptors: Tyreke Evans, PG/SG, Freshmen, Memphis
This is an obvious pick for the Raptors, they need a combo guard who can produce on the offensive end. He's getting a great backcourt mate in Calderon, who will find him and maximize his potential, and I'm sure the front office is aware of that.

10. Milwaukee Bucks: Johnny Flynn,
PG, Sophomore, Syracuse
With Redd's career winding down, they need that primary scorer for their future, and someone they can hopefully build around. Flynn is instant offense, every scouting report has him as one of the premier scorers of this class, the Bucks have to pick him here. He will be splitting time with Sessions, but I think it comes in his favor later on, as I was against him declaring for the draft so early in his NCAA Career.

11. New Jersey Nets: James Johnson, SF/PF, Sophomore, Wake Forest
I have really been impressed with him as of late, his stock has slowly been on the rise, he is 6'8, but incredibly strong and athletic, and can play the 3 and the 4. He has a great offensive skillset, he is a great shooter, he can dribble, penetrate, and move without the ball, which would fit perfectly in the Net's offensive system. Vince could be on his way out either this off season or the next, I think it's safe to say James will replace him as they officially go into rebuilding mode for the next few seasons.

12. Charlotte Bobcats: Gerald Henderson, SG, Junior, Duke
The Bobcats are on the verge of erasing their bad draft history as Adam "the stache" Morrison was recently traded and Sean "triple chin" May's contract will not be renewed. While Morrison brought his trademark white trash moustache to the NBA, he forgot to bring his game. Morrison has struggled to get playing time and will continue to do so, as he lacks the athletic ability to compete on a daily basis. While the other former lottery pick, has had trouble just staying helathy enough to even be on the active roster. The only baskets May has contributed on lately in Charlotte is the demolition of his "get well soon" pastry and cheese gift baskets.

The Bobcats can finally redeem themselves by selecting Henderson to be their backup and eventual starting 2 guard. I can't see Henderson being a star in the league but he can definately carve out a niche for himself as a Raja Bell type player. Fortunately for Henderson if he is drafted by the Cats, he will be Bell's backup and who better to mould him into a Raja Bell type player than......well Raja Bell. Henderson can beat expectations if his defensive intensity translates to the NBA game and his shooting range continues to expand.

13. Indiana Pacers: DeJuan Blair, PF, Sophomore, Puttsburgh
Indiana is in a tough spot. They have a bunch of alright players but no really good players besides Danny Granger and Troy Murphy is also pretty good. This makes it hard to see who they want to replace and who they think they can build on. A lot will depend on whether they let Marquis Daniels and Jarret Jack walk, if they keep both of those guys a guy like DeJuan Blair would make sense for them. If not, they will need a replacement for those guys.

Blair would give them someone who isn't afraid to do all the dirty work inside and I think they could use someone like that.

14. Phoenix Suns: Ty Lawson, PG, Junior, North Carolina
I still believe Ty Lawson is a lottery pick, this is the best situation for him, and I think the Suns realize the talent level this kid possesses. His maturity and in-game leadership is phenomenal, he has 3 years and one National Championship under his belt, so he will bring a winning attitude to this roster. With Nash's window slowly coming to a close, they need to find his successor. Lawson has the most potential out of all these available PG's, he will become a sure Star talent in 3-4 years from now.

15. Detroit Pistons: Terrence Williams, SG, Senior Louisville
This is probably the best pick for the Pistons, an easy steal in the draft, what I call, the sleeper. He has great athleticism, he can score, penetrate, and is a great defender, which will work well with the Pistons young nucleus of Affalo, Stuckey, and Maxiell. He isn't a great ball handler, and does turn the ball over a lot, but he is a sure pick for the Pistons, who are in dire need to get back to the top of the Eastern Conference, the only way to do so, is by drafting defensive oriented players.

16. Chicago Bulls: Earl Clark,
SF, Junior, Louisville
This pick is solely based off of my off season predictions, as I thoroughly believe the Bulls will go after Chris Kaman via trade with the Clippers, in exchange for Small Forward Luol Deng. He would be the best replacement for Luol, not as great on the offense end by any means, but he makes up for it with his excellent defensive abilities, high basketball IQ, and great rebounding skill.

17. Philadelphia Sixers: Eric Maynor,
PG, Senior, VCU
Another PG coming off his 4 year NCAA Career, possesses great range on his jumper and shoots at a very high percentage. He is a superb athlete, nice smooth game, and plays well on the fast break, something which the Sixers love to do with Iguodala. Their current starting PG, Andre Miller is supposedly out, leaving them with no choice but to draft a replacement. I do not believe Louis Williams is the answer for them, he is good off the bench, but in no way does he possess the talent and poise to be a starting Point Guard in the NBA.

18. Minnesota Timberwolves: Jrue Holiday, PG/SG, Freshmen, UCLA
I was against Jrue leaving the NCAA early, after all he is coming off a great freshmen year, he is still a bit raw and could be a potential top 5 pick in a year or two. He is a great defender, versatile, is a combo guard, and loves to work the pick and roll. With Minnesota's coaching staff unfinished, there is still a lot to be told here, but from my basic knowledge, he would fit perfectly in their system (based off of last season). After drafting DeMar DeRozan with their first pick, they draft another guard, strenghtening the backcourt. Holiday and Foye will split minutes at the 1 spot, while playing a lot of the SG role, thus moving DeRozan to the 3 position.

19. Atlanta Hawks: Jeff Teague, PG, Sophomore, Wake Forest
Mike Bibby will be out of Atlanta in a year or two, leaving a hole at the PG spot. Though they have Acie as their primary back up for Bibby, it wouldn't be enough to fully contend for a playoff spot consistently for the next 5 years. Teague brings great athleticism, confidence, and a terrific scoring ability. Reminds me a lot of a young Mike Bibby, he would learn a lot from the Hawks organization, and more importantly, their current starting PG.

20. Utah Jazz: B.J. Mullens, C, Freshmen, Ohio State
Another young, raw player who I was very disappointed with after hearing their declaration for the draft. He has a tremendous upside, but does not have a great work ethic and has a below average basketball IQ. Very reliable in the post, can finish with both hands, and would do wonders for this Utah Jazz squad who are still looking for a stud big man. They drafted Koufus last season, but he didn't exacly come out as planned, I think B.J. is the only choice for them here.

21. New Orleans Hornets: Austin Daye,
SF/PF, Sophomore, Gonzaga
The Hornets need help on offense and defense. They didn't do well this year mainly due to injuries and the lack of depth. Austin is a great defender, and an amazing blocker, averaged over 2 a game in his Sophomore year. Byron Scott can very easily play him at the 3, mating him with David West and Tyson Chandler in the front court, becoming a more defensive minded team, along with James Posey and Chris Paul, who are exceptionally well rounded defensive studs.

22. Dallas Mavericks: Chase Budinger, SG/SF, Junior, Arizona
With the lack of big men in the draft, the Mavs have no choice but to draft a guard/forward. They want to keep Jason Terry on the bench to start games, I think placing a big 2 like Chase in the starting line up would help them a lot, especially on offense where they seem to struggle starting off games. He is a great three point shooter, and very intelligent, can move without the ball, and would give Dirk a little more freedom on the block downlow when he gets hammered with double teams.

23. Sacramento Kings: Tyler Hansborough,
PF, Senior, North Carolina
This would be a great pick for the Kings, they get an offensive stud with Tyler, who can create his own shot and get others involved without throwing up to many bricks. He isn't great on defense, doesn't possess strong, athletic abilities, and isn't a quick player. He would do well on the Kings, he will get playing time at the 3 and 4, and would possibly be a reliable rookie off the bench.

24. Portland Trailblazers: Darren Collison, PG, Senior, UCLA
An experienced PG, played all four years at UCLA, with a great feel for the game. A great playmaker, terrific defender, and has a great skillset on offense when it comes to scoring. He is a leader, he can come in to the league and make a suden impact, but does get passive at times with the ball in his hands, and isn't a great shot creator. I like this pick a lot for the Blazers, they haven't been content with Steve Blake this year, if Darren surprises them, I wouldn't be too shocked if Collison gets the nod as the starting PG. He's another steal of this draft.

25. Oklahoma City Thunder: Gani Lawal, PF, Sophomore, Georgia Tech
Love his rebounding and midrange game, reminds me a lot of Udonis Haslem, possesses a great frame and a long wingspan. A great hustle player, loves to play around the basket, and an excellent shot blocker. The Thunder need to add quality depth to their frontcourt, this is a huge pick is Lawal slips to 25.

26. Chicago Bulls: Wayne Ellington,
SG, Junior, North Carolina
Coming off a national championship, Wayne will be confident and will get his minutes. He reminds me a lot of Dequean Cook, a good player off the dribble, can move without the ball, and will knock down three's. He is nothing more than a liability on defense, but makes up for it when he's hot from the field. With Gordon's contract almost up, they need some insurance at the SG position, I like Wayne at 26.

27. Memphis Grizzlies: Sam Young,SF/PF, Senior, Pittsburgh
I got a few chances at watching this kid at Pitt, he is a tough player in the paint with good athleticism. He has a solid midrange game, combined with a knack for grabbing rebounds. He's a smart player. I think Memphis will enjoy this pick they need some depth in their front court, they couldn't get a center here, but they get some help on offense and defense, and more importantly helps out Marc Gasol.

28. Minnesota Timberwolves: Nick Calathes, PG/SG, Florida
Many people are high on this kid, has great court vision and a good feel for the game. Reminds me a lot of Ty Lawson, he can do it all. He is a great scorer, has a nice perimeter game and is a solid off the dribble, he makes great passes, but gambles a lot, and is a great rebounder for his size at 6'5.

29. Los Angeles Lakers: Patrick Mills, PG, Sophomore, Saint Mary's
A lot like Aaron Brooks, Patrick is an undersized PG who thrives off of his speed and intelligence. Very mature, playmaker, with a decent three point shot, and a very good penetrator. The Lakers are in need of a PG, though I don't see Mills getting a ton of action, he may develop into a decent role player one day.

30. Cleveland Cavaliers: Marcus Thornton, SG, Senior, LSU
A great pick for Cleveland, they get an experienced Senior SG to fill in some holes in their roster. He averaged over 21ppg, he fits in perfectly with the Cavs offense. He is great off of screens, loves to move without the ball, and is a great set shooter. I think he will do fine in the league, will see some playing time, especially since Wally's contract is expiring soon.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Nice job on this, had to take a while especially for the reasons

But Calathes wont be drafted since he's opted to play overseas next season.

Abovelegit

Reaction score
He has? Oh, Thanks for informing me.

Yeah it took a good 45 mins or so to make.

.snowy

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Patty Mills to the Lakers? Yes please

NjNets15

@SeanDugan2
Reaction score
I do not know too much about James Johnson but from the description you gave he sounds like a player we could use

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
If Earl Clark is there I do think we would take him. And if the Bulls can trade for Kaman I would be pissed.

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I don't see us passing on jrue for eric. Jrue could be the second best talent when its all said and done. And from what I hear the knicks like tyreke and jrue a lot.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
No way Jrue is falling to 18. I think the Kings will take him over Jennings.

VC15

Reaction score
I do not know too much about James Johnson but from the description you gave he sounds like a player we could use
He is exactly what we need, a shooter who can also get to the rim. If we don't take him I'd be fine with DeJuan Blair or even NJ native Earl Clark.

BTW who else thinks Thabeet will be a bust?

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Thabeet is definently going to be a bust

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Williams would be a good pick for Detroit, but I think we would go Earl Clark before if he is available.
Williams would be my back-up.

Abovelegit

Reaction score
No way Jrue is falling to 18. I think the Kings will take him over Jennings.
Yeah I regretted having him so low, I made this the day before I heard his stock rose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%