Brown Out In Cleveland?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Some key members of Cleveland front office feel Mike Brown was badly out-coached by Stan Van Gundy, according to sources.

One source said Cavs management wasn't only disappointed in the losses, "but equally disappointed in the (two) wins" in a series that went six games.

It is believed that owner Dan Gilbert is among those who thinks the Cavs need an upgrade on the sidelines, while general manager Danny Ferry is standing strongly behind Brown.

Frank Isola of the New York Daily News filed a similar report and suggested a big name such as Pat Riley could be possible for the Cavaliers.

Via ProBasketballNews.com
According to multiple team sources that spoke with Brian Windhorst of the Beacon-Journal, reports that Mike Brown's job is in jeopardy are false.

The Cavs are indeed in a period of evaluation right now and are conducting meetings in which there is sometimes intense discussions. But Brown continues to have the backing of the organization's leaders and decision makers.

ProBasketballNews.com and the New York Daily News independently broke similar stories on Wednesday evening.

Via Beacon-Journal

stavi

Reaction score
yea i agree....but i think he will stay... i mean in did take the cavs to the final and Con-championship in three years...right...? lol

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
If they were ableto bring in Riley, I think that keeps LeBron

I think a coaching change is what this team needs most, Brown isnt a great coach, LeBron carried them to the finals, and the conference championships

Not once could you say Brown's coaching won them a game. He's a classic "coach benefiting from superstar"

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Though it has happened before in other sports...I seriously doubt the NBA's Coach of the Year gets thrown out onto the street.

Brown wasn't out coached by Stan Van in my opinion. I actually don't think its possible to be out coached by a guy who's gameplan is to shoot 3's for 4 quarters of basketball.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Mike Browns coaching wins the Cavs games all the time.. I will admit his offensive game plan is a joke, he needs a lot of help there but he is one of the top 3 best defensive coaches in the league. If you look at the Cavs only two players on the team are exceptional at defense, and those guys are LeBron and Delonte, yet we had the best defense in the league statistic wise in the regular season.

EDIT: And to be fair to him, he didn't have the right personnel at all to beat the Magic. We had no one who could just contain Howard, and we had no one to cover Rashard. It was a tough series, the front office realizes we'd probably see them again so they're looking to make moves to adjust (Charlie V, Sheed, The guy from Greece, etc..)

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
AE, Stan Van is a great coach. When he coached Miami he didn't have a 3 pt shooting gameplan, he just changes the way he will coach if hius team is good at one thing. If they had a great low post player next to Dwight he would go inside more.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Cheato not having the right players to matchup isnt an excuse, great coaches work with the players they have. They had noone for LeBron and they were still able to win the series.

I will give him props on his defensive gameplan, but offensively he cant make it work. I dont think he's as good a coach as some give him props for.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
How could he coach against the Magic, if he used Ilgauskas on Howard, he would just go around him, when we brought over a double team, obviously someone is open and the Magic move the ball around and always find the open man. If we put Varejao or Ben on him, they are too small to stop him on one one, so we bring the double teams over again. I imagine the double teams could have been planned better but once Howard got into a back down, there wasn't much we could do. And even with these bad match ups we were in games 1, 2, 3, 4, we only won one of those, so if a couple of those went our way at the end of the game, you're talking about a different series. Rashard made two great shots, one to end a game, the other to put the Magic up 2 which eventually went to over time.

Saying all of that, I think Stan mis-used Dwight in the series, look what they did in game 6, they just gave the ball to Dwight and told him to go at it, and it was there easiest win.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The fact thet you have nobody to guard D12 isnt a good enough excuse, except for the Pistons, no other team in the leagu has a player that can guard him

Not having the right players to shut down their top players isnt going to work, there isnt a team in the league that has the right matchups every night they play.

It comes down to how you play on both sides of the ball, the Cavs didnt have a good enough gamplan on the offensive end to win. When you have LeBron, a guy that can score almost at will and also pass like a PG their offense shouldnt be so stagnant, they also have a capable scorers in Mo Williams, Ilguaskas, and West. The Magic didnt have the perfect personell to matchup against you guys but still were able to win the series.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Kendrick Perkins can cover Dwight Howard.. He did it pretty well against the Magic. The Lakers are doing it this series..

No coach could devise a plan to win a series with the people we had to throw out at Dwight in a 7 game series. It could work in a one game playoff, but once it goes into a 7 game series, there isn't much you can do.

And the offense was good in the series, at least in getting open players, but no one made shots. If those shots went in and the Cavs win the series, then everyone is saying how good the offense was. It's a matter of making open shots which we didn't do and missing open shots has nothing to do with the defense.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
No there isnt a way to shut down a great player, but good coaches dont focus on shutting them down. Instead they find ways to neutralize them, and they had the ultimate player that could neutralize D12's numbers.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
LeBron had arguably the best statistical numbers in one series and it didn't "neutralize" Dwight Howard considering they have many more scoring options.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
They had two other consistent scoring options in Shard and Turkoglu. The Cavs have at least two other consitent options aside from LeBron in Mo and Big Z.

If shots arent falling then a gameplan change is needed, its obvious what your doing isnt working, if open shots arent falling then they should look into getting into the lane more, or getting to the line more.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Ilgauskas has been far from consistent this year. His best years are past him and his career is winding down. And when your 2nd best scorer in Mo is not making shots, and your 3rd best scorer is not making shots, the only thing you can hope for is your star player to dominate, and it still wasn't enough because the Magic have too much fire power.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Ill agree there, the Cavs 3 options arent as potent as the Magic, but to me the Cavs were outplayed just about the whole series. And I would put that on the coach rather then the poor shooting.

It seemed the Magic were destined for a comeback every game, and that falls on the coaching.

akadreday

Reaction score
brown is stayin... hes the best thing to happen the cavs

but if cavs dont get a next star

lebron is gonna for 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%