Big Ben back to Detroit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheed

Hi.
Reaction score
AUBURN HILLS -- The Detroit Pistons are in need of a big man, a relatively inexpensive one.

Ben Wallace, $10 million dollars richer after being bought out by Phoenix, is looking for a new home.

While there's no deal imminent, the Pistons are going to explore the possibility of bringing one of the franchise's greatest defenders, back to Detroit.

Detroit has about $3.5 million to use towards free agents, but would probably not use all of that to sign Wallace.

Boston's Glen Davis remains an option, but the Pistons are reluctant to make him an offer because he's a restricted free agent. And the Celtics have said repeatedly that any reasonable offer Davis receives - and Detroit's offer would fall under that category - they would match.

And while Detroit could surely continue its youth movement and pursue someone like Chris Wilcox or Drew Gooden, Wallace might be a better fit.

When he first came to Detroit in 2000, the Pistons were in a similar rebuilding mode. But as the franchise grew in prominence, so did his stature as one of the game's top defenders.

That Ben Wallace won't be running down the tunnel at The Palace of Auburn Hills anytime soon.

But he's still got enough left to give a team 10, 15 good minutes most nights.

And make no mistake about it.

He would return in a reserve role, with a reserve player's salary that would likely be for less than $2 million per season which is a far cry from the $14 million he was supposed to earn this season.

But the Suns, who are also in a rebuilding mode right now, cut Wallace a $10 million check to play elsewhere.

And wherever Wallace's next NBA destination is, it'll likely be his last as a player. So it seems it would only be fitting that he finish his career off in Detroit, the place where it really got started.
I wouldn't mind having Big Ben back.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I believe I called this one.
HOPE it happens.

Big Bid'Ness

4 Life
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
If this happens does Stuckey gives up number 3, because number 4 is retired.

sheed

Hi.
Reaction score
Just tell Ben to get a new number lol.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Good question, I think Stuckey would keep 3 and Wallace would find something else lol.

Damn Detroit just needs to keep their Wallaces eh? lol
Rasheed gone, now we might get Ben back.

sheed

Hi.
Reaction score
Hahaha. Yeah that's what I was thinking, 33 could work. Something in the single digits or something i the 30's.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I would love for him to come back and retire in Detroit, we need a lot of help still and he isn't that but it's the fact he has been the face of this franchise for 8 years and has a chance to return. I think he will.

Big Bid'Ness

4 Life
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Hell he can teach Kwame Brown a couple of things or two.

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
i think he's gonna retire - he's been hinting at that this summer

sheed

Hi.
Reaction score
Yeah but I think retiring in Detroit, where his career got started as the article said, would be nice.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Don't even care if he helped us really.
He would fill some empty seats and Detroit, and would be a perfect way to end his career.

I would be happy, MANY Pistons fans will be.

Shadez

Reaction score
He fell of the minute Detroit traded him to Chicago. I think he'll retire as well.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
We didn't trade him..

Shadez

Reaction score
That's right. He was a free agent at the time. My bad! Was a good move by Dumars at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%